Wondai Bakery Cafe
Hi 🥧 lovers the 🥧 tour continued through the South Burnett area, with the final destination being Boondooma Dam for a week of water skiing and catching up with our Dam family. About 50 odd km from Boondooma Dam is the beautiful little town of Wondai and this was where me and Nate lined up our next review.
I popped in to the Wondai Bakery Cafe and this was where I met brothers Sonny Nguyen & Van. After a short conversation it was arranged for us to pop back within the hour as fresh 🥧’s were being cooked and ready to be smashed !!!!
The hour seemed like a eternity for Nate as the little fella was chomping at the bit to get stuck into his first official 🥧 review !!! Plus the little fella is a champion eater !!!!!
Brothers Sonny and Van have had this place for about 5 years and both learnt absolutely everything from their Dad. These guys have been working in various bakeries all around NSW before the opportunity came up for them to eventually own their own place and move interstate.
This place doubles up as a Vietnamese take away place but me and Nate we’re here for the 🥧’s and we couldn’t wait to tuck in.
The boys had organized for us to try one of there favorites and a first for Nate. See young Nate before now always ate plain 🥧’s but today we were trying a Chunky Steak, bacon, cheese and onion 🥧.
🥧🥧🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧🥧🥧
1. Value for Money – At $5.40 this oval 🥧 was good value. It was quite heavy and a decent size. The price tag was very reasonable. 8.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – This 🥧 was pretty dam full. A very even spread of every ingredient. The chunks of meat were of a decent size too. 9.5/10
3. Meat Flavour – The flavor was pretty good. The meat was very tender and the bacon pieces were beautiful. The cheese was melted perfectly. 8.5/10
4. Pastry – The top was extremely good, crispy and flakey, but sadly the base fell apart. The pastry flavor was ok, but as mentioned the bottom fell away, which has effected this score. 5/10
5. Temperature – This bugger was piping hot 🔥🔥. However is was straight out of the oven and both me and Nate were not waiting another minute, we were keen to try these 🥧’s. 7.5/10
🥧🥧 Overall Rating 39/50 🥧🥧
Apart from the base crumbling under pressure this 🥧 was pretty good. The price tag was very reasonable and the 🥧 itself was filled with quality meat and other ingredients. The only bad part for me was eating the remainder of the 🥧 with a fork !!!! But I wasn’t going to waste a drop because the flavor itself was very good.
For a little county town this bakery has everything you need, it’s a little cracker. Filled with every tasty treat plus the best Vietnamese lemon chicken ever !!!!!
I need to thank Sonny and Van !! What a couple of champions. These guys are great fellas and both are super passionate about providing there community with quality food and service. I’m so appreciative for the time they gave up to chat with me and Nate.
Wondai is a bloody awesome little town and a absolute must stop. The Bakery and Jim the Butcher will have all your bases covered. I’ve been coming here for many years and every time I’m here there’s always something new to see. There is heaps of places to stay and camp.
It’s great to see these rural towns thriving with so many tourists and travelers out and about !!!! So if you haven’t made the trip out these little communities start making plans your gunna ❤️ it.