Hi 🥧 lovers it’s time for our 4th edition of our VICO virtual 🥧 reviews. As mentioned last week, these virtual reviews are designed to promote and support our Victorian fiends doing it tough in stage 3 and 4 lockdowns. I haven’t been to these bakeries it’s purely a bit of fun based off photos and recommendations.
I received a phone call from a ripping lady called Joanne Peterson, asking for my help to promote her bakery in Paynesville. Paynesville is a tourist/holiday resort town in the Gippsland region of Victoria, With travel restrictions in place in Victoria and travel non existent this little community you would assume is doing it very tough so i jumped at the opportunity to help Joanne out.
Joanne rescued the Waterview Bakery Paynesville when this place barely had a pulse. Hit the fast forward button 6 years later and this place is a cracking joint employing 8 staff !!!! Many business owners would tell you, this success doesn’t come easy and Joanne has spilt blood, sweat and tears, but she has powered out the other side.
Joanne has been around the traps for a while, starting her apprenticeship as a 18 in Melbourne, working in various bakery’s before finding a home at the Waterview Bakery. Joanne mentioned this place is business as usual with take away food, coffees and don’t forget glorious 🥧’s
Joanne sent me 🥧 loads of photos and photos to choose a 🥧 for this virtual review. For all the seafood lovers out there this bakery does 3 types of specialized 🥧’s
1. Scallop 🥧
2. Curry Scallop 🥧
3. Thai Prawn 🥧
These 🥧’s look and sound amazing but one photo and one 🥧 stood out like a sore thumb !!! This was Joanne’s “Camp Oven Beef” this thing looks bloody amazing !!! I can smell the flavor from some 1850km away. This was a no brainer this 🥧 needed to be reviewed. So let’s get this party started.
🥧🥧🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧🥧🥧
1. Value for Money – At $6.50 some would argue that’s its up there in price but look at the quality of ingredients that make up this 🥧. Plus this is no traditional 🥧 this is a classic gourmet 🥧. Most of the gourmet 🥧’s I have reviewed are around this price sometimes more. 8.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – Photos don’t lie !!! This 🥧 is filled to the brim. Zero room left at all !!! 10/10
3. Meat Flavour – Lets get started !!! Chunky Beef (slow cooked in a actual Camp Oven) Potato, Pumpkin, Carrot, Onion, Parsnip, Red and Green Capsican. Then throw in old fashioned gravy sauce !!!! Man this is bloody amazing !!! It’s a perfect 10 for me !!! 10/10
4. Pastry – The top looks super flakey and the bottom looks firm as and looks as though it would go the distance. 9/10
5. Temperature – Once again after countless years of baking I’m sure Joanne has got the temp down pat !!! 9.5/10
🥧🥧 Virtual Rating 47/50 🥧🥧
I don’t know about you guys but this 🥧 looks off the charts !!!! I absolutely love the fact this 🥧 is actually cooked in a 30 year old camp oven. All the ingredients look and most likely taste amazing. This 🥧 is right up my alley and this is one place I will be visiting in a heart beat.
Joanne has this place open every day except Xmas day now that’s incredible. Whether your into your seafood 🥧’s or your traditional meat 🥧 you won’t go hungry here.
Paynesville sounds like a super chilled place to kick back relax. Covid 19 has no doubt knocked this little community and there economy for 6. So when travel restrictions are lifted please make this little village and this bakery a absolute must on your travel plans.
Joanne, I’m truly grateful you called me and allowed me to share your story. What you have achieved in 6 years is inspirational. So many businesses in Vic are under huge financial stress and I cannot stress how important it is to shop local, support local and stick together during these difficult times.