2023 🥧 Tour
Review no 41
(Berrimah (Darwin NT)
Our stay in Darwin was sadly going to be fairly short. So with that in mind i was busy running around town cramming in as many 🥧 reviews as I possibly could. With Old Mates Bakery, Outback Bakery and Benn’s Bakehouse already ticked off it was time to head over to the Darwin suburb of Berrimah and check out Tommo’s Pies Darwin
Tommo’s 🥧’s is located in Howell Street and was established back in 1978. This is a huge operation with Tommo’s 🥧’s being distributed and sold all over the Darwin and surrounds.
Unfortunately the day of my visit the owners were too busy to see or speak to me so i couldn’t get much of a back ground story, but that wasn’t going to stop me smashing a few 🥧’s and doing this review.
The bakery serving area may only be small but the bakery has a terrific selection of 🥧’s and other goodies on offer.
Also if you wanted a combo deal there is plenty to chose from in that department.
As mentioned above the 🥧 menu was very generous so choosing one to review this week was going to be a difficult decision. After spending what seemed like a enernity looking at the board, I eventually went with a pizza 🥧. It’s been over 2 years since I’ve reviewed one of these particular flavored 🥧’s and was keen to tuck in.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $6.80 is probably on the high side for a 🥧 of this size. In my opinion a pizza flavoured 🥧 wouldn’t be classified or put in the gourmet range. Overall $6.80 is a little up here compared with others I’ve reviewed of the same size and flavour, but still more than acceptable. 7/10
2. Meat Ratio – At $6.80 you would expect this 🥧 to be full and it WAS !!! Totally full and zero complaints here. 10/10
3. Flavour – The flavour of this 🥧 was really nice. The cheese was melted perfectly and the pizza sauce blended through this 🥧 beautifuly. The mince was also cooked to perfectation. The bakers have done a good job with this one. Thoughly enjoyed the flavor in this 🥧. 9/10
4. Pastry – Color, shape and shrinkage all ok. The pasty had a really nice taste to it as well. The top bake was ok as was the bake thinkness. The bottom of the 🥧 was incredibly soft and had more cracks than a fifth day Indian cricket pitch. These cracks made this 🥧 a little tricky to eat. Overall a bit of a mixed bag with this one and the bottom bake has affected to overall score of this pastry. 6.5/10
5. Serving Temperature – A smidge on the hot side but nothing major to worry about. 9.5/10
🥧🥧 42/50 🥧🥧
Apart from the bottom pastry and a couple other minor blemishes this was a pretty good 🥧. The flavour and meat ratios were standouts. The 🥧 was completely full and you could taste the pizza flavour with every bite. The sauce, cheese and mince were all the perfect mix. While the bottom pastry was very soft this could have easily been a once off and this happens. Overall Tommo’s 🥧’s get the ✅ of approval from me. If you’re in the Darwin area pop over to Berrimah and get stuck into are few 🥧’s or even a combo deal.