Happy New Year 🥧 lovers. I hope everyone has had a EPIC start to the year. 2023 is going to be a massive, starting with our trip to SA, but before we head south I wanted to squeeze in a couple of local reviews. With that in mind I ducked down to the The Yard Cafe & Bar. The Yard is located in Beach Road Maroochydore. Open 6 days a week this quirky little joint offers both breakfast and lunch options. The best part about this place is Wednesday is 🥧 day !!! This was the genius idea from owner Jamie.
That’s right every Wednesday Jamie comes up with a couple of succulent flavored 🥧’s on the menu. One of the other features of this place is the little putt putt ⛳️ green out the front. 🥧’s and ⛳️ this place is right up my alley.
Every time I’ve driven past this place it’s always busy and the day I visited was no different, people everywhere lining up for 🥧’s and other goodies. The Yard is no different to other joints that have 🥧 days, you’ve gotta get in early as they sell out fast.
Choosing a 🥧 for my first review of the season came down to 2 choices, beef or chicken. This wasn’t the normal bird 🥧, it was chicken and leek. Over the last 3 years I’ve probably only reviewed two possibly three of these flavored 🥧’s, so I thought I’d kick the new year off with something a little different.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $8 is certainly up there in the price department, but this was a very generous sized 🥧. The depth and diameter were excellent. At $8 you’d be pretty happy with this price considering the size. 8.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – About 80% full. Just under the lid had sunken a bit but nothing major. Overall a little bit more could have been added to fill this 🥧, but overall it was more than satisfactory. 8/10
3. Flavour – Very enjoyable, fresh chicken breast, leek and bathed in a beautiful white sauce. The chicken breast pieces were beautiful. The ingredients were basic but highly effective. Great flavor. 9.5/10
4. Pastry – Color, shrinkage, shape and stability were all great. The top and bottom bakes were also satisfactory. Only negative was the pasty was a smidge dry, but only a fraction. Apart from that this pasty was pretty good. 8/10
5. Serving Temperature – Perfect !!! 10/10
🥧🥧 44/50 🥧🥧
My first visit for 2023 was pretty dam good. Overall this was a really enjoyable 🥧. It’s not often I have a chicken and leek 🥧 and I’m glad I gave this one a go. The price, flavor, ratio, and pasty were all very consistent and from Jamie’s end only a couple minor tweaks are needed. I would most certainly try this flavored 🥧 again and would recommend to any chicken and leek 🥧 fan out there.
Wednesday 🥧 day is a absolute must visit. If you love home cooked 🥧’s, your going to really enjoy this place. One of the things that stands out is the relaxed and casual atmosphere. Everyone just sitting around mingling and enjoying each others company and this was very cool. Apart from the 🥧‘s every food item made and sold here is stunning and your not going to be disappointed.
Jamie and team a huge thank for having me and for your amazing hospitality. This was a cracking review to kick the year off and I cannot thank you enough. Jamie the work you have done to this place over the last 3 years is mind blowing. You are the ultimate host and deserve every success that comes your way.