The Victory Store
Also I need to address the Elephant in the room before I start. I had a dead set shocker on this review and left the famous cowboy hat at home. Cannot believe I did this, but it won’t happen again. Now let’s get stuck into the review.
This week saw me travel a short distance up the Bruce Highway to Gympie. Just on the fringe of town heading out to Tin Can Bay you will find The Victory Store. Owners Peter & Linda have had this place for 13 years. Peter is a former wrecker with a love of building fast cars. You will see Peter & Linda most weekends at the speedway watching the race cars he builds. This iconic store has been serving the folk of Gympie for approximately 140 years !!!!!! Now legend has it that this place had the very first TV in Gympie. Locals used to flock to the store and watch this new invention called “Television” which was perched in a hole on the outside of the store. Now how cools is that !!!!
This store has been a family affair for many years with Linda’s parents owning this place in the early 90’s before selling and moving on. Years later Peter & Linda purchasing the store back from the people that bought it from her parents.
Don’t be fooled by the size of this place, it’s a convenience store on steroids. This place literally goes off from daylight to dark, employing 20 staff. Yep that’s right this little store in Gympie has 20 staff cooking every food you can think of. Top of that list is a glorious assortment of 🥧’s
Making these 🥧’s are 2 absolute champion ladies Linda & Sharon. Now just to clarify a few things. Everything in these 🥧’s are completely home made and cooked in the kitchen at the shop.
I spent like an eternity choosing a 🥧 to review and came up empty, so the girls decided for me. Sharon choose her favorite a Slow Cooked Silverside and White sauce. But then Linda bought out the Chunky Steak 🥧 and the Lamb 🥧. This was ridiculous there was no way I was going to eat all 3 🥧’s. Any way I gave it a massive go but I decided to review Sharon’s favorite.
🥧🥧🥧🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧🥧🥧🥧
1. Value for Money – At $7.50 this 🥧 isn’t cheap, but no bullshit this was bloody massive. It was more than a meal !!! Unless you have a mouth like Steve Tyler there is no way you can bite this 🥧 whole. I struggled big time. This 🥧 weighed a whopping 400 grams !!! Easily worth the value 10/10
Now just to clarify a few things this catagaey isn’t solely about price. I take into account the ingredients and cost of those ingredients that actually go into these 🥧’s and actual size of the 🥧.
2. Meat Ratio – Take a look at the photos !!!! Totally full. Linda & Sharon would have had to call in a dump truck to fill these 🥧’s. The depth of this 🥧 was insane. 10/10
3. Meat Flavour – Now I’m not a huge fan of Silver Side but this was very very good. The chunks of meat were huge and the sauce and flavors in the sauce was incredible. This was my first Silverside 🥧 and certainly won’t be my last. 10/10
4. Pastry – Once again I’m not a huge fan of 🥧’s in a aluminum trays, but the sheer weight of this 🥧 needed something to hold it in. The base was a little soft for my liking but had a really nice flavor. The top was crispy and flakey and really good. 8.5/10
5. Temperature – Absolutely perfect. I picked up this 🥧 and went straight to work. Zero waiting required 10/10
🥧🥧🥧🥧 Overall 48.5/50 🥧🥧🥧🥧
This 🥧 was exceptional as were the other 2. As previously mentioned these 🥧’s were really big. Now most people that know me would say I’ve got a massive appetite but I struggled with these 🥧’s and only managed eating 1/2 of each one !!!! The size and flavor were absolute standouts.
You need to realize this place isn’t a bakery and Linda and Sharon are not bakers but that doesn’t matter. These girls have a amazing talent and passion for cooking food. The hours they work and the sheer volume of food they pump out is mind boggling. Owners Peter and Linda have worked their arses off and deserve all the success that goes with It. This is yet another example of 2 average Aussies having a crack.
When you are traveling through the Gymp don’t drive straight through, take the extra few mins and pop into the victory store. With heaps of parking and so many varieties of 🥧’s and other food this place won’t disappoint.
Again I’ve gotta thank Pete, Linda and the staff for having me in. Linda had zero sleep coming straight from Buderim hospital to the shop. Her daughter had a baby overnight making that grandchild number 7 ❤️❤️. Don’t get me wrong I love eating the 🥧’s but hearing the stories and sharing these stories with my followers is my favorite part.