The Main Beach Bakery
In my humble opinion when your talking about legendary bakeries/pie shops on the Gold Coast, three joints come to mind straight away. All three have been around for many many years and bakeries I frequently visited as a kid thirty five odd years ago. I’m talking Coolangatta Pie Shop, The Original Tugun Bakery and The Main Beach Bakery. I thought it was finally time to head to the glitter strip and line up reviews at these historic bakeries. First on the hit list was The Main Street Bakery which is located in the middle of Tedder Ave Main Beach.
Current owner Wayne informs me the bakery Itself has been operating for well over 40 years, but he bought the place a tick over two and a half years ago. Wayne, has absolutely zero baking experience what so ever. We sat down for a while and chewed the fat and I was totally blown away about Wayne’s work history and damm it’s impressive, working in gold industry in Africa to flying choppers in the Air Force, this fella has done everything. So when the opportunity came up to purchase this bakery, he jumped straight in and appointed his long term personal assistant Karen to run and manage the place. This is where this story gets even more crazier, Karen also has zero baking or bakery experience !!!! Experience or not Karen and the team have this place absolutely pumping and gee this place get busy.
Open 7 days a week from 5am to 3pm everything you could ask for and more is here. The selection of food here is off the charts particularly in the department.
For this weeks review, I called in a heavy hitter to lend me a hand and share his expert experience. Guido Pozzebon has been around the food industry for many years, you name he’s probably cooked it. Guido is also one of the BAA’s respected judges, so I knew I was in good hands.
Choosing a for this weeks review was simple. We both had our eyes and lips on firmly set on the “JD ” This is one of the bakeries best known and best selling ’s. Chunky steak marinated in Jack Daniels Whiskey, potato’s, carrot, and caramelized onion. As soon as this thing came out of the warmer me and Guido looked at each other and immediately knew it was on like “Donkey Kong”
1. Value for Money – $7.30 yes it’s up there, but it was pretty good value for this pie and the ingredients that filled this . I’ve had other JD ’s before and they were all in the similar price bracket. This pie was more than satisfactory in depth and width. 8.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – 95% full. Maybe a fraction more but overall you’d be very happy. Plus the chunks of meat were mammoth !! Excellent value. 9.5/10
3. Meat Flavour – One word “Incredible” everything about this favor was perfect. The JD whisky wasn’t overpowering and blended perfectly. The meat was tender and melted in your mouth. Finally the potato’s, carrot and caramelized onion made this flavor perfect. The smell of this was mouth watering. This was a easy score. 10/10
4. Pastry – Colour, shape, shrinkage, top bake all perfect . The side bake and bottom were ever so slightly under baked. The pasty had a beautiful buttery flavor that held together right to the last bite. 9/10
5. Serving Temperature – Spot on perfect. There was no way me and the big fella were going to wait. 10/10
As soon as Guido took his last bite, he looked at me and said “This is a gold medal ” and I couldn’t argue with him. The flavor was by far was the standout. I couldn’t get over how big and tender the meat chucks were. The only disappointing part was I had to share half this with Guido.
The glitter strip has many star attractions and this place can be added to that list. It’s been well over 15 years since I’ve been to this bakery and I certainly won’t be waiting another 15 to come back. Yes Tedder Ave can get busy, but there’s still plenty of parking nearby. This bakery is a must visit. Whether you on holidays or passing though you’ve gotta pop in and give the “JD ” a crack.
As always a huge thanks to Wayne and Karen for sharing their story and taking valuable time out of their day to show us around. Guido, you bloody legend, it was great to see you again and thanks for your expert knowledge and eating half my !!!!