- 2023 🥧 Tour
Review no 51
The Grumpy Baker
(Sydney CBD NSW)
After my quick visit to Bourke Street Bakery, I continued my 🥧 crusade around the Sydney CBD in search for another bakery to review. I didn’t have to go that far, as I soon stumbled on this little joint tucked away down Abercrombie Lane. The place I was referring to was The Grumpy Baker.
This particular one I found is one of eight located around the Sydney area. This ones a little tricky to find but it’s a little beauty. While only small this bakery has got a huge variety of delicious food on offer, plus a little seated area located in the alley.
As mentioned the serving and baking area is extremely small. The day I was there it was extremely busy and people lined up out the door, waiting for 🥧’s and coffee.
The selection of 🥧’s on offer here is relatively small, however some of the flavors would dead set knock your socks off. After chatting to the girls behind the counter I decided to give the “Moroccan Lamb” a try. The girls said it was one of there best sellers.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – I’m not going to lie $9.50 is right up there. While the 🥧 was a decent size, it wasn’t massive either. You need to consider I was smack bang in the middle of the CBD and the cost of lamb isn’t cheap these days. Overall not bad, maybe a tad on the steep side though 7/10
2. Meat Ratio – About 80% full. If you looked under the lid you could have squeezed a bit more into this 🥧. While the meat pieces were plentiful a little bit more could have been added. 8/10
3. Flavour – Excellent !!! The lamb melted in your mouth and the various middle eastern spices were beautiful. Every bite was so good and I could have eaten this 🥧 all day long. Great job guys !!! Loved every bit of the flavour. 10/10
4. Pastry – A real mixed bag here. The color was a little dark, shape was ok, while some of the sauce has spilled out one side. The bake thicknesses were really good and cooked right through which was great to see. The base was really soft which made eating this 🥧 a little tricky. The pastry taste was really good and i couldn’t fault the flavor. Overall a few things to work on, but nothing major. 6.5/10
5. Serving Temperature – A little on the hot side but nothing to worry about. 9/10
🥧🥧 40.5/50 🥧🥧
The score may be a little low, but this was a really nice 🥧. The flavour in particular was sensational, easily up there with the best flavoued Moroccan Lamb 🥧 I’ve had. The $9.50 price tag was a little “exie” but I guess that could be classed as Sydney CBD prices. The pasty needed a little bit of work but nothing that couldn’t be tweaked or easily fixed. Overall I wouldn’t hesitate to have another one of these flavoued 🥧’s. Highly recommended.
This little bakery was a great find and one you should visit while your in the CBD. As I mentioned it’s only small but has everything you could ask for. Next time I’m in Sydney I will be checking out their other locations.