The Espy Bakehouse
As mentioned in last weeks review we parked up at Christies Beach for a few days for a bit of R & R. I’m glad we had a few days up our sleeves, as this area has a truck tonne of bakeries all in a short distance of each other. This weeks review was only a short walking distance from the caravan park and next on this hit list was The ESPY Bakehouse.
As the name suggests The Espy Bakehouse is located on the Esplanade at Christies Beach. This bakery has the best spot on the esplanade and one of the best views I’ve seen at a bakery.
Owner Mark has had this place for 7 years. Mark was the first tenant in this new building back then and designed this bakery from scratch. The building itself really impressive. Plenty of seating and dog parking out the front, while inside is massive.
The place is open 7 days a week (7am to 5pm) plus has a full lunch and breakfast menu. Another outstanding cabinet display and I immediately started to buy with my eyes. The food and smell here was next level and I started getting a little hangry, so i quickly found the 🥧 menu and starting perusing.
A few 🥧’s caught my immediate attention but one in particular stood out. That was the “Pork Jalapeño & Cheese” I’ve had a few of these type flavors before with brisket as the main star, so to have one with pork meat was something different.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $6.50 was pretty good value for a 🥧 of this size. The diameter and depth was more then acceptable. Not quite a gourmet 🥧 but pretty close to it. Excellent value. 9.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – 95% full and you’d be very happy with that. A few bits could have been squeezed in here and there. The middle had sunk a fraction nothing major. Overall very good. 9.5/10
3. Flavour – I really enjoyed this one. 12 hour slow cooked pork, jalapeño, cheese and bathed in a basic but highly effective gravy sauce. The pork wasn’t dry at all and the Jalapeños had a perfect amount of kick. Great job. 9/10
4. Pastry – Overall this pastry was first class. Color, shrinkage, stability and shape were all really good. During the whole process the 🥧 didn’t move a muscle. The bottom and side bakes were excellent and the only blight was the slight wet line/underbake just under the lid. This was only minor but still evident. Great job though !!! 9/10
5. Serving Temperature – Perfect 10/10
🥧🥧 47/50 🥧🥧
This was a quality product !!! The scores were very high and consistent across all 5 scoring categories. No particular part of this 🥧 stood out as everything about it was superb. If you want something different with a little extra kick your going to love this one. Excellent job team.
This bakery, the location and the view are all first class. 100% this is another bakery you need to add to your own 🥧 list. To Mark and the team and huge thanks for having me in and showing me around. The quality of products you guys dish up here is exceptional. Also if you feel like a drink or meal in the arvo pop across the road to Marks other place District B 5165 it’s also first class and well worth the visit.