The Elmore Bakery
Our Echuca stay was bloody awesome. However it was time to hit the road and head further south on route to the Spirit of Tasmania, but before we departed the main land we had a few more quick stop overs and next on that list was the gold city of Bendigo.
Prior to our arrival at Bendigo, I had lined up a review at one of Victoria’s most popular 🥧 joints, and the bakery is was referring to was The Elmore Bakery.
Elmore is a little town located 50km north of Bendigo. The bakery is located on the main road heading north or south. Owners Nathan, Dee have owned and operated this place for over 13 years and for the past 7 bought on partners Travis and Leah to help steer the ship.
This place is massive, the seating area is more than ample and there is loads of room to park up and relax. One inside, I was gob smacked by the huge selection of baked goods on offer. This bakery will suck you in and convince you to purchase more items than you actually need.
During my conversation with x & Dee, the word covid raised its ugly head. With driving restrictions limited to a 5km radius, this bakery was another business that didn’t get the passing travelers or the craving 🥧 lover making the short half hour trip from Bendigo.
Like with most reviews I received the grand tour and met the most of the team. I was itching to get started. The smell and look of the 🥧’s coming out of the Warner was mouth watering.
Choosing a 🥧 to review this week was a easy peasy Japanese decision. I had received so many messengers from 🥧 loving legends all recommending one 🥧 and that was the award winning “Pulled Beef, Jalapeño and Cheese”
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $6.20 was super value. This wasn’t the biggest nor smallest 🥧, but it was a terrific size for this price tag. I would have no hesitation paying this money again for a 🥧 of this size and quality. 9/10
2. Meat Ratio – Very good, maybe a smidge less cheese and more of that glorious pulled beef, but I’m probably being a tad greedy. Overall extremely good. 9.5/10
3. Meat Flavour – Outstanding job !!! The slow cooked beef melted in my mouth, the cheese blended beautifully into the meat and the 🥧 had the perfect of jalapeño’s. This 🥧 had a great little kick to it, but not to 🔥 to put you off. 10/10
4. Pastry – This was easily my favorite part of this experience. Top, bottom base and sides bakes all cooked to perfection. Stability and shrinkage also perfect. The top bake was crunchy and incredibly flakey, while the bottom was relatively thin and full of flavor. While the photos may indicate the pastry was slightly burnt on top, it didn’t taste that way at all. 10/10
5. Serving Temperature – Excellent !!! The serving temp was perfect. After cutting the 🥧 in half and getting a whiff, there was no way I was waiting one second. 10/10
🥧🥧 48.5/50 🥧🥧
This 🥧 was tantalizing. With every bite, I wanted more and didn’t want the experience to end. This 🥧 was so good, I decided to grab two more to take away with me. The flavor and pastry was perfect. Everyone has different opinions and preferences on our the pasty should be cooked and that’s ok. For me, this pastry was spot on and absolutely perfect. Also $6.20 was ripping value for a 🥧 of this quality.
You’d be foolish to drive past this bakery and don’t pull in. As mentioned there is heaps of room inside and out and every food item sold here is first class. Plus if your after a family 🥧 to feed the tribe, there is a great selection on offer as well.
A massive thanks to and the entire team for having in. This has been a bakery I’ve been wanting to visit for 2 years and it certainly didn’t disappoint. Nathan and Dee are dead set legends and I’m truly grateful for their hospitality. It was a shame I didn’t get to meet Travis and Leah but don’t worry this 🥧man will be back early next year.
Bendigo was a great little stop over. While the weather was brass monkey freezing, we really enjoyed our stay there. The Big 4 Bendigo Ascot Holiday Park was clean and tidy and reasonably priced. One place that’s a must visit while your here is “The Great Stupa” The temple is still work in progress but it was pretty awesome.