The Bellmere Bakery
This weeks destination for my review was a recommendation from one of the best eaters I’ve ever seen. This fella can stiff out a 🥧 or any food for that matter ANYWHERE !!! and I mean ANYWHERE !!!
Matty Byron has been banging on for ages about his place and the quality of 🥧’s it sells. So with this in mind I made contact with owner Matt and headed for the The Bellmere Bakery.
Bellmere is essentially a suburb of Caboolture and is about 40 mins north of Brisbane. The bakery I was visiting sits in a little shopping complex on Bellmere Road. The place has been here for over 30 years, with current owners Matt and Shona baking 🥧’s for just over 20 of these years.
Apart from a 6 month uni stint as a teenager, baking 🥧’s is all Matt knows. Over this period of time he has passed his expert knowledge onto many apprentices and bakers !!! At the present moment he’s got 3 full time bakers and 9 staff pumping out 🥧’s, 🥧’s and more 🥧’s !!!!
This weeks 🥧 of choice was so easy !!! Matt showed me a Leg of Lamb cooking in the oven, and I was instantly drawn to the smell. Trust me I didn’t need much convincing when he suggested his Lamb 🥧.
🥧🥧🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧🥧🥧
1. Value for Money – At $6.40 this 🥧 represents pretty good value. While it wasn’t a huge 🥧. It was more than satisfactory. Roast lamb isn’t cheap these days, so this was taken into account when giving this score 8/10
2. Meat Ratio – Perfect ratio !!!! Photos don’t lie !!! This 🥧 had absolutely zero room left. 10/10
3. Meat Flavour – This was a basic lamb 🥧 !!!! Threaded Lamb, Gravy, Salt and Pepper !!!! Yep that’s it !!! Simple !!!! but bloody effective. It was so good. The lamb melted in your mouth. The gravy was perfect as well. 10/10
4. Pastry – The base was very soft, however from the first bite, till the last it didn’t move and tasted terrific. The top was crunchy, flakey and golden brown. Thoroughly enjoyed. 9/10
5. Temperature – Cooked to perfection !!! This 🥧 smelt terrific and I wasn’t going to wait one second to eat it. It was smashed in about 6 bites !!!! 10/10
🥧🥧 Overall Rating 47/50 🥧🥧
This was a very basic lamb 🥧 !!!! But man it was GOOD !!! It’s literally a Sunday roast stuffed in pastry. The Lamb was incredibly tender and threaded to perfection. With every bite the lamb was pulling apart and melting in your mouth. The gravy was rich with flavor and the salt and pepper was the icing on the cake. All the lamb 🥧 ‘s I’ve reviewed have been Lamb & Rosemary, so this was old school, simple and I absolutely ❤️ it.
I was totally blown away by the amount of traffic this bakery gets !!! The entire time I was there, it was so busy. People bloody everywhere !!! Matt informs me it’s like this 7 days a week.
If you love your Lamb you going to love this place and their 🥧’s. Seriously it’s very easy to find and only 10/15 mins off the Bruce Highway. It’s a 100% must stop. The complex is quite small and has plenty of parking as well.
A huge thanks to Matt & Shona for having me in and allowing me to share their story. Matt’s a ripping fella and after 30 odd years in the 🥧 game he still has the passion and 🔥🔥 in his belly.
He strongly believes we are all placed on this earth for a reason and choose our pacific career choice for a reason. His reason and choice was to bake and make OUTSTANDING 🥧’s !!! After tasting these 🥧’s first hand I can confirm he’s more than suited to this role !!!
After 30 years this Bakery is still going strong and will continue to survive for many years to come. Matt says the support from locals is overwhelmingly plus you’d be surprised the distance some people travel to taste his 🥧’s and other products. I saw a quote on the building next door. “ You can’t buy happiness !! But you can buy LOCAL and that’s kind of the same thing” This is one of the best quotes I’ve seen for a long time and so true.