The Bays Kitchen
We continued up the east coast and the weather started to get very wet and nasty. So we decided set up camp around the Scamander and St Helens area, hoping the weather gods came good. After tasting every 🍺 on the menu at White Sands, we headed off into St Helens for a poke around.
This is where we discovered The Bays Kitchen St Helens. This little cafe is located in the centre of town and is owned and operated by Julie and Andrew, with the help of daughter Macy and Macy’s partner James.
We originally went into the cafe looking for a light snack and a coffee, but I soon discovered they make a cracking homemade mini/party 🥧 and a huge selection of pot 🥧’s as well.
They say people buy with their eyes and it’s true, I got stitched up big time here !!!! I went to order a sandwich and ended up ordering and smashing one of the best southern fried chicken burger I’ve even had. It was massive feed and left me in all sorts, so I arranged to return the following morning to try the 🥧‘s.
A very easy choice of 🥧 for this week. The home made 🥧’s only come in one flavour !!! mince, assorted veggies and savory sauce. That didn’t matter one bit, it looked insane and I was eager to get started.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – This was a tough one to call. The 🥧 wasn’t quite a normal sized 🥧 but way bigger than a party 🥧. $5 in my opinion was ever so slightly overpriced maybe $4.50 ish. After tasting the flavour and smashing it down my gob, I would have no hesitation paying 5 bucks again. This was a touch call (nothing to compare it to) 9/10
2. Meat Ratio – Yes it needed more fill !!! I’d say 85% full and for $5 you would want this baby choc a block. 8.5/10
3. Flavour – Terrific !!! Like my last review this was another basic 🥧. Mince, assorted veggies and savory sauce. That’s all that was in this bad boy, but it tasted awesome. Simple but effective. Loved it 10/10
4. Pastry – Everything about this pastry was perfect apart from the bottom bake. Photos will show a slight wet line in the bottom bake sadly that has affected this pastry getting a perfect score. 9/10
5. Serving Temperature – This little bugger was a smidge 🔥 and only a smidge. It wasn’t that bad but had to wait a minute or so to cool. 9/10.
🥧🥧 45.5/50 🥧🥧
This party 🥧 on steroids was a bloody ripper. The flavour was perfect and the pasty was a tad off being perfect as well. The $5 price tag may have been a smidge steep but it wasn’t over the top. If pot 🥧’s aren’t your go, i can certainly recommend this little beauty. Speaking of Pot 🥧’s the two we tried later that night were beautiful. $8 was great value for these and worth every cent.
This cafe cannot be missed it’s a belter and trust me you are not going to be disappointed. Please be aware the cafe is only open Wed through to Sun. Make sure you get your timing right otherwise your going to be severely devastated.
To Julie, Andrew, Macy and James a massive thanks for looking after us during our stay. This was one of the highlights of our visit to St Helens. The food you serve up, is totally off the charts !!! Not only is the food of the highest quality, the proportions are HUGE as well. This business is a real family affair and it’s absolutely beautiful. You guys work your arses off and deserve every success.
Sadly our time around St Helens and The Bay of Fires was hampered by severe bad weather. It was a shame we didn’t get to see the coastline in its true beauty, however that didn’t stop us from having a great time.
White Sands Estate (Brewery) was a sensational place to camp. The food and beer was amazing as was the free camp area. We also had a couple of nights at the free camp in town. Very safe and a solid location. This whole area is a must stop (weather permitting)