St Peters Bakehouse & Coffee
After leaving Bakery on O’Connell, I jumped straight into the car and made my way over to the Adelaide suburb of St Peters. I had lined up one more review that day and this bakery was with another one of Adelaide’s busiest joints. I referring to St Peters Bakehouse & Coffee Shop.
Located on Seventh Ave St Peters, this bakery opened 25 years ago by current owner and baker Damien Obst. Over the last 25 years this place has grown significantly. These days Damien and partner Kate own and operate 2 more bakeries in the area. These are located at nearby Thebarton and Ridgehaven and between the 3 stores employ over 50 staff that includes 9 bakers.
This bakery oozes class and from the moment you walk in your going to be impressed. Yet another bakery with an outstanding cabinet display and the food items here are to die for. If your a sweet tooth your going to love this joint and once again another bakery with a epic selection of doughnuts.
As if running 3 bakeries wasn’t hard enough Damien and Kate now live in Noosa and operate another food takeaway business up there. So the dynamic duo
are traveling back and forth each month making sure things run smoothly down in SA. Lucky for this review Damien was in the bakery and showed me around. The big fella was extremely busy so we didn’t have a lot of time. So after having a look around it was time to choose a 🥧 to review.
The selection of 🥧’s here was really good and for this week I wanted to have something a little different and a flavour I hadn’t had for a while. On the board I saw a “Chunky Steak & Cheese” very basic but a few of the locals told me this was the 🥧 I should be choosing. As soon as it came out of the warmer I knew I’d made the right decision.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $6.20 was terrific value. While the ingredients were only basic the 🥧 was a decent size in both diameter and depth. The meat chunks were huge as well. 9.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – Almost full. Probably 95% full, probably just a little bit just under the lid could have been added, but in reality the meat chucks were so big one more may not have fitted in. Overall very good value. 9.5/10
3. Flavour – Loved it !!! The meat chunks were both huge and tasted amazing. The melted cheese was the right mix and blended right through. While the gravy sauce was basic it was beautiful. This was a beautiful flavoured 🥧. 9.5/10
4. Pastry – The color, shape, stability and shrinkage were all really good and more than acceptable. The bottom bake was cooked right through but the sides were a little thick and the top pasty was slightly underbaked. The pastry was really good and full of flavour. This also was a heavy 🥧 and best of all didn’t move a bit. 7/10
5. Serving Temperature – Perfect temp !!! 10/10
This was a terrific tasting 🥧. The ingredients were very basic but extremely well put together. Without a doubt the flavour and the cheap price tag were the best part of this 🥧. The meat chunks were massive and incredibly tender. Really the only minor tweak required was the pastry bake. This could have been a one off too. For such a heavy 🥧 the stability was excellent as was the pastry’s overall flavour. I could have easily smashed another one of these 🥧’s. This particular flavored 🥧 is 100% worth the try.
This is a bakery that is 100% worth a visit. As mentioned earlier the building and layout is beautiful and incredibly classy. Heaps of room inside and out for relaxing and best of all catching up with friends. The food served here is next level and once again your going to have massive issues making a decision on what to have.
Damien and Kate are dead set legends. The hours these guys work and put into these bakeries is out of control. Running four separate businesses and running interstate regularly would certainly have its challenges, but these guys roll up their sleeves and take it all in their stride. They are the ultimate professionals plus best of all quality human beings. Thanks for having me in.