St George Bakery
This weeks review was a bakery I previously visited 12 months ago. The 🥧‘s were great then, but owners Trent Challenger Elizabeth Challenger were not available to see me. So when we were planning our epic road trip, St George was one of the first places locked in and so was the St George Bakery.
St George QLD is situated approximately 500km west of Brisbane. The lively little community has a population of around 3,500 and sits on the banks of the mighty Balonne river. Lucky for us this place has had recent rain, so the river was up and the place looked stunning green.
The bakery sits smack bang in the middle of town. Owners Trent and Liz have been here for 15 years and over time have transformed this place into a one stop shop. Upon entering you will know exactly what I mean. Yes it’s a bakery, but also doubles up as the town’s 🍕🍕and fried chicken joint. The bakery also supplies the bread and rolls for the famous Nindigully Pub. These things are bigger than Ben Hur !!! Trust me !!!!
Another standout in this place is Trent’s Model T car parked out the front. 104 years old and still kicking ASS !!! It’s a absolute weapon. Not many 104 year old cars have made the journey to Cameron’s Corner and back in one piece.
Trent’s been baking for many years and still aims for perfection and wants to provide his community with as many food options as possible. So you won’t go hungry in the place, that’s for sure. After getting the tour I was getting hungry and it was time to hook in.
This weeks 🥧 to review was a bloody easy choice. Trent’s known me for a little while now and knows I’m a Chunky Pepper guy, and that’s exactly what he pull out of the warmer.
🥧🥧🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧🥧🥧
1. Value for Money – $5.50 this was a decent size round 🥧. For a bush town this price tag represents very good value for money. 9/10
2. Meat Ratio – Once again, this 🥧 was pretty full. A mixture of chunky steak and mince. Maybe a bit more could have been squeezed under the lid, but overall pretty good. 9/10
3. Meat Flavor – The meat was incredibly tender. The chunks were plentiful and the mince was fine and a perfect blend. The level of pepper, well it was spot on 9.5/10.
4. Pastry – Not bad, the top and base could have been cooked a little longer. The top in particular was extremely good though. However the base was a little soft, but you would expect that with a foil tray. While the bad was a little soft the stability was excellent and the 🥧 didn’t move. 8/10
5. Temperature – Zero issues at all. 🥧 gone in about 5 bites. 10/10
🥧🥧 Overall Rating 45.5/50🥧🥧
This 🥧 was great. The price point was spot on and the mixture of mince and tender chunks of meat was superb. Some pepper 🥧’s can be over peppered (does that even make sense lol) but this 🥧 wasn’t. The flavor was almost perfect.
As mentioned earlier this bakery has everything !!! It’s St George’s own version of Domino’s and KFC as well. Plus you might see two red smart cars hooning around town, well they offer home delivery with the 🍕’s on Friday and Saturday nights.
If you passing through St George to visit or fuel up you have 2 reasons stop at this bakery. One is the 🥧’s and the second is you’ve gotta check out Trent’s Model T. I was extremely lucky, as Trent took me for a hot lap around town. We set a new track record too. This was one of the best experiences I’ve had while doing a review.
As always a HUGE shoutout to Trent and Liz. You wouldn’t meet a nicer couple, who love what they do, but more importantly love and give so much back to their community. Trent was one of the first blokes I called for my charity day this year and he didn’t hesitate to come on board. Little towns like St George thrive of the passing tourists. So add this great town to you list of places to visit. It’s got so many camping and caravan options as well. If your super Hungry head into the Nindigully Pub Queensland and give one of the monster burgers a go.