Spirit of Maria Cafe
This latest review wasn’t really meant to happen and totally came out of the blue. After leaving Richmond we headed for the east coast and made plans to visit the picturesque “Maria Island” Maria Island is located about 30mins boat ride from Triabunna.
We parked up behind the local pub, booked our cruise and made our way up to the Spirit Of Maria Cafe – Triabunna to collect our tickets. The first thing at caught my eye when nearing the entrance was a sign saying “scallop 🥧’s ” With that in mind i wasn’t going to let a opportunity for a sneaky 🥧 slip away.
The Spirit of Maria Cafe is located in the centre of the small town of Triabunna. It’s the ticket collection point for the “East Coast Cruises” plus a place that serves up a huge range of homemade cakes, scones, sandwiches, wraps and other delicious options. There is also a great selection of 🥧‘s.
The 🥧’s are all made at the nearby town of Cambridge and bought to the cafe daily. As we needed to get down to the boat I needed to get a wriggle on and get this party started. Choosing a 🥧 to review this week was pretty simple. All the staff highly recommended I give the “Scallop and Prawn 🥧” a test run. It’s a combination of fresh scallops and prawns and one of their biggest sellers.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $9 was pretty reasonable value for this 🥧. It was the usual sized 🥧 in depth and diameter. The cheapest scallop 🥧 I’ve seen so far on this tour has been $8.50 so $9 for this one was good value. 9/10
2. Meat Ratio – Pretty full, I didn’t actually count the number of scallops in here, as I was to busy smashing this 🥧 down by gob at a rapid rate. However the prawn to scallop ratio was evenly balanced. The 🥧 had sunken in the middle a little therefore creating more space to put more in. 8.5/10
3. Flavour – Loved it. The scallops were fresh as were the prawns. The sauce had a beautiful flavor to it and really blended in well. Terrific job. 9/10
4. Pastry – stability, top color, shape and shrinkage were all very good. The 🥧 held together to the very last bite which is always pleasing. The bottom bake was underdone and soft as photos will indicate. The overall flavor of the pastry was still acceptable, however the bottom needed more time in the oven. 7/10
5. Serving Temperature – Perfect temp !!! No waiting or stalling required. Out of the warmer and ready to rock n roll. 10/10
🥧🥧 43.5/50 🥧🥧
Apart from the bottom pasty being underdone, this was a really enjoyable 🥧. As mentioned above the scallops and prawns were super fresh and tasted terrific, plus it’s the perfect 🥧 to have in the car as the stability was spot on. I’m so glad I gave this particular flavoured 🥧 a go.
Triabunna doesn’t have a lot of cafe and eating options, but this particular one is a little beauty. Even if your not doing to the tour you can pop up grab a 🥧 and grab all the appropriate travel brochures you will need for your next adventure.
The tour itself was EPIC !!!! Michael and Ally know how to put on a show !!! In a 10 minute period we had dolphins, whales, seals and birds surrounding the boat. The sea caves were unbelievable and you get to spend more than enough time exploring the island and seeing heaps of wombats. Best thing we have done in Tassie hands down.
When your planing your trip to Tassie, this area is a absolute MUST visit. Triabunna is a little but beautiful coastal town. If your self contained the pub is a great spot to park up for the night. We had 2 nights here and loved every minute of it.