Sarina Pie Shop
Our Cape York trip was almost over but there was one last visit to make to before rushing down to Hervey Bay to see my beautiful mum.
That last scheduled review was to see Nathan and Lauren from the Sarina Pie Shop. Located in the main area of town, this bakery is open 7 days a week. Nathan and Lauren bought the bakery seven years ago. The previous owners had the place for over 15 years and they happened to be Nathan’s parents Barry and Elvina.
Covid times have been tough for this bakery. The customers have been ploughing through the doors in their droves but getting staff to serve these hungry customers has been extremely difficult, so difficult the bakery has had to close early some days due to staff shortages. This is a common occurrence at many 🇦🇺 businesses at the moment.
After watching the boys in the engine room strut their stuff it was time to get cracking as we had a huge day of driving ahead of us.
This weeks 🥧 of choice was another easy decision. I was here for the Smokey Brisket 🥧. As soon as it came out of the warmer I knew I’d made the right choice.
🥧THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $7 is up there, but this was a gourmet 🥧 and a decent one at that. Diameter was acceptable but the depth was even better.
This 🥧 was slightly deeper than the average tins. $7 is more than acceptable for a 🥧 of this quality. 9/10
2. Meat Ratio – 95% Full. No more words required. You’d be happy with this ratio. 9.5/10
3. Meat Flavour – Loved it !!! The brisket was cooked to perfection and melted in my mouth. The sauce it was bathed in was stunning and was the perfect blend. Great job guys, loved it 9/10
4. Pastry – Top color was excellent but the bottom was a little pale but still ok. Stability, shape and shrinkage were all of the highest quality. The bottom bake was a little underdone but the pastry itself had a great flavor. These negative points were only minor. 9/10
5. Serving Temperature – The temp was excellent.
🥧🥧 46.5/50 🥧🥧
This was a beautiful 🥧. It’s been a long time since I’ve reviewed a smokey brisket 🥧 and the wait was well worth it. The flavor was tremendous as was the meat ratio. The only negatives and these were only minor was the slight wet lines on the bottom bake and bottom color was a little pale. Apart from these minor issues this was a quality 🥧. I’ve gotta give the special sauce Nathan used a plug. The lanes & blues hog sauce was exceptional. I also tired the Smokey Brisket Mac & Cheese 🥧, it also was a cracker. Both 🥧 I would easily have again.
Now I’ve gotta mention Lauren’s unique homemade cookies she makes and sells Not only did they look good they tasted awesome as well. What makes these cookies even more interesting is Lauren makes them for all occasions including “Hen’s Parties” check out the photos 😂😂
Don’t forget this cracking 🥧 joint if your cruising through Sarina. You cannot miss this place, just look for the QLD maroon colored building and the smell of epic 🥧’s.
To Nathan and Lauren a massive thanks for your hospitality. We have spoken on the phone many of times, but it was great to finally meet you both and road test your 🥧’s. You have an amazing business and an incredible work ethic.
Also the charity/fundraising ideas you guys do in the community especially in the local rugby league circles is massive.
Our Cape York trip was up there with the best we have ever done and experienced. Sunday night, I will be posting a re-cap of this amazing journey with a full list of bakeries reviews and photos.