Hi guys this weeks 🥧 review was a very easy choice. it’s a place I’ve been coming to for a tad over 20 years and a place that gave my daughter Georgia her first job opportunity. It’s also a place that has been serving the local community of Tewantin glorious 🥧’s for almost a quarter of a century. I’m talking about the institution that is Richies Bakery
Owners Richie and Catherine (brother & sister) started this place from scratch in 1996 and some time later opened a second location just down the road in Cooroy. This dynamic duo have been around bakeries since they could walk. 3rd generation bakers and learnt everything from their late father.
Both siblings would stand on wooden milk crates in dad’s bakery in Tully helping him bake and create. For many years they learnt everything from Dad before taking the giant step into their own business journey.
You cannot miss this bakery. it’s smack bang in the Main Street of Tewantin. Tewantin or as the locals say “The Wanno” can get quite busy but most times parking isn’t a issue. Both locations are open 6 days a week and employing a total of 24 staff over both locations.
The choice of 🥧 for this weeks review was extremely difficult. As I said previously I’ve been smashing 🥧’s here for 20 years and tried every 🥧 in this joint. Well that what I thought anyway !!! The bakers have come up with a new creation, the 🌶 jam 🥧. That’s right a slow cooked meat 🥧 with 🌶 jam and red onion. I was immediately hooked and couldn’t wait to dig in.
🥧🥧🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧🥧🥧
1. Value for Money – $5.60 represents great value for a 🥧 of this size. It was round, very deep and quite a good size. Once again if you can find a 🥧 this size under $6 your doing well. 9/10
2. Meat Ratio – This 🥧 was probably too full !!!! But no ones complaining. Seriously it was bursting at the seams. 10/10
3. Meat Flavour – Bloody beautiful !!!! The meat was super tender !!!! The 🌶 jam and red onion sauce was amazing. While the 🌶 sauce wasn’t super hot, it gave you a decent kick and added real zing to this 🥧. 9.5/10
4. Pastry – The top was outstanding !!! Mega crispy and flakey, while the base was a little soft and fell away slightly. Although the base was soft it still had incredible flavor right through. 8/10
5. Temperature – It was🔥 but to be fair straight out of the oven and into my stomach. I’ve had these 🥧’s for almost 20 years and every 🥧 I’ve had is served at almost perfect temp !!! 9/10
🥧🥧 Overall Rating 45.5/50 🥧🥧
This was my first 🌶 jam 🥧 and it was terrific. The clear standout was the quantity and quality of meat in this thing. It was seriously overflowing. The 🌶 Jam added incredible flavor to this 🥧. Once again not my normal flavored 🥧 I’d go for, but I really enjoyed it and certainly one I would order again.
Richies Tewantin has absolutely EVERYTHING you need plus more. Whether your a local, on holiday’s or stopping for supplies before you head up to the North Shore make sure you stop into this place and say G’day. Also I’d be crazy to forget Catherine’s cake making skills. This women can BAKE !!!! So if your celebrating anything about anything and need that special cake to be made Catherine will whip you up one of her creations.
Catherine your a absolute champion. You are incredibly busy and don’t have time to scratch yourself but you were more than prepared to spend valuable time with me and I’m truly grateful for that. I’ve been coming here for over 20 years but to listen to your incredible family journey was amazing. The stories you told me about your father, had my head spinning. I would have loved to have tried one of his secret recipe🥧’s.
Yet another business success story build on hard work and determination. Almost 25 years on and still going strong. I really enjoy hearing and sharing success stories like these.