Ravenshoe Highland Bakery
After a few relaxing days and seeing the sights of Mareeba, we decided to head slightly south to the little town of Millaa Millaa and use this as a base to explore more of the tablelands.
Our next destination was Ravenshoe & Herberton. Both places are high up in the tablelands and Ravenshoe in particular is the highest town in QLD. Not only did I have a 🥧 at the most northern bakery in 🇦🇺, I was about to tick off another first, having a 🥧 at the highest bakery in this great state.
Owners Tony, Tracy and daughter Rebecca have been at the helm for the past 4 years, with son Cameron recently joining the family affair. This family of Italian and Chinese heritage had NO baking experience when they took over but there love of food and cooking led them to purchase this bakery when the opportunity came up.
Open Mon to Fri 6am to 2pm and Saturdays 6am to 12pm this bakery is located in the Main Street. The original bakery was opened in the 1940’s across the road, but when fire caused significant damage years later the bakery then re-located to its current location.
As with most bakeries I’ve visited there is a good selection of 🥧‘s to choose from here. I tried the mince, bacon, cheese and tomato 🥧 which was great, but Ash & Kiki handed me one of their 🌶🥧’s and told me to give this one a test drive.
🥧THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $5.50 was crazy value for this square 🥧 !!! Yes square !!! It’s a standard size 🥧, but $5.50 in this era of high inflation is a great price. 9.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – Full !!! If anything busting at the seams !!! Excellent value. 10/10
3. Meat Flavour – The mince was fine and tender and their was the perfect amount of fresh 🌶 flakes. People get worried when they hear the word 🌶 in 🥧’s, but this one is the perfect mix. This one was 🔥 but extremely enjoyable and nightly recommended. 9/10
4. Pastry – Shape, color and stability all a big ✅. The top bake was flakey and baked right through which was good. The only negative and this was minor was the bottom bake was a little soft. While the 🥧 held together, the bottom bake was slightly unstable. 8.5/10
5. Serving Temperature – Spot on !!!! Excellent serving temp. 10/10
🥧🥧 47/50 🥧🥧
This 🥧 was a belter !!! I absolutely loved it. The amount of this 🌶 flakes in this 🥧 was perfect. The price point was also spot on, as was the meat ratio. If you love your 🌶🥧’s slightly hot, your going to love this one. Everything in this bakery is of the highest quality and this place is a must visit if your in the area.
Thanks to the entire team for having me in. I’ve gotta give a shout out to the two crazy Irish girls Ash & Kiki !!! They were the ones who convinced me to try the 🌶🥧 and I’m glad I did. As mentioned earlier the whole family has ZERO baking experience, but that hasn’t stopped them from rolling up their sleeves and having a massive crack and I love that.
Ravenshoe, Herberton are two places you don’t wanna miss. Both towns are little beauties and extremely picturesque. I’ve gotta give the Historic Village Herberton a HUGE plug. This place was unbelievable and 100% worth checking out, you could spent hours and hours here and still not see everything.