This weeks review was on recommendation from a number of followers and a place that has been around for almost 30 years. So I hit the road and traveled south on the Bruce Hwy towards Bris Vegas, ending up at Everton Hills and the Rainforest Bakery.
As mentioned above owners John and Annette have had this place for 28 years. The little shopping complex originally opened in 1974 and the current bakery is on the site of the first ever Brumby’s Bakery. John’s a Brisbane boy born and bred and has worked in numerous places all over town before settling at Everton Hills.
But the story of his dad and one John only recently discovered is nothing short of incredible. Dabrowski isn’t you typical Aussie name, it’s Polish. During World War II, John’s father Henryk was a forced labourer in one of the deadliest Nazi extermination camps ever build “Auschwitz”. For the younger generation Auschwitz was a German concentration/extermination camp. During 1940 to 1945 over 1.1 million Jews were captured led to their deaths via the gas chambers. Henryk was forced to Cook in this death camp and wasn’t paid one cent but spared his life. When the war finished Henryk eventually left War torn Poland/Germany and ended up in Aus, where he worked as a cook at the Royal Brisbane Hospital. When John told me this story was I was instantly hit with goose bumps.
Ok back to the 🥧 review and it was time to choose my weapon of choice and get this party started.
As soon as I saw the 🥧 list my eyes were instantly drawn to the Pepper Chili Steak 🥧. What a combo Peppercorns and Chilli Flakes. Before I started I did clarify the strength of the chilli. I didn’t want another Sunrise Bakery episode where I dead set embarrassed myself.
🥧🥧🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧🥧🥧
1. Value for Money – Seriously this 🥧 was MASSIVE !!! At $5.20 this was easily the best valued 🥧 pound for pound I’ve ever reviewed. I had to double check and triple check that the price was actually $5.20. The depth was exceptional and a decent size in diameter. Ridiculously easy to score. 10/10
2. Meat Ratio – Absolutely jammed packed !!!! You couldn’t squeeze one more ounce into this 🥧. 10/10
3. Meat Flavor – Absolutely perfect !!!! The meat/premium mince was perfect. The peppercorns were perfect and the chilli flakes were also perfect. The whole 🥧 itself had incredible flavor, which couldn’t be faulted. 10/10
4. Pastry – I’m not going to lie, the base was a little bit soft for my liking, but still very good. I was extremely worried about this 🥧 busting open and causing havoc on my cream pants. But it turned out I was worrying about nothing. This 🥧 didn’t move right up to the last bite. The top was golden, flakey and full of flavor. The softness of the base may not have been my cup of tea, but it might well appeal to the other punters out there. Overall pretty good. 7/10
5. Temperature – OUTSTANDING !!!!! Cooked to perfection. 10/10
🥧🥧 Overall Rating 47/50 🥧🥧
This was a bloody ripping 🥧 !!! The flavor was INSANE. If you love your pepper and chilli combo your going to love this 🥧. I’ve never done a pepper/chilli combo review and I’m so glad I did. While I did score the pastry a little low, the base was a little soft to my liking, but other 🥧 lovers may love the soft base. I need to chat about the price again, it was crazy crazy cheap for that sized 🥧. Arguably the best valued 🥧 for that price I’ve ever reviewed.
This place is a absolute must visit. Open every day bar Sunday. It’s got easy and accessible parking. A great selection of 🥧’s and other treats. Plus these legends have a small range of gluten free products.
After 28 years smashing out the 🥧’s John and Annette are showing no signs of slowing down. This is a classic example of a small family owned business that hasn’t changed its principals over time. The quality of their staff, the quality of their service and most of all the quality of their product hasn’t changed one bit. John and Annette thanks for having me into your shop and allowing me to share your amazing journey. The story of your father’s journey out to Aus totally blew me away.
If your cruising around Brisbane or heading up the coast, add this place and the area to your travel plans. There are so many hidden gems scattered all over Brisbane and this place is one of them.