Port Huon Trading Post
After getting stuck into a few 🥧’s at the Geeveston Bakery, I decided to check out the local golf course and attempt to walk off a few unwanted calories. After my dismal 3 putt on the the last, we headed to the 19th to have a few cold ones. That’s where a few of the boys gave me a tip on another other place that’s pretty legendary with the locals. The place they were referring to was Port Huon Trading Post.
Port Huon Trading Post is only a 5km drive from Geeveston and owners Ros and Brett have had this little cafe for over 12 years. Ros was here prior to that she, actually worked in the place for the previous owners. The cafe is open 7 days a week and employs up to 12 people. Ros is a genius in the kitchen and has a real passion for cooking. With no formal cooking qualifications this hasn’t stopped Ros making and coming up with a plethora of delicious food items on sale. All the 🥧’s, cakes, sweets and a host of other items are all 100% homemade on these premises. Every food item you could possibly think of is at the cafe. Before I got stuck into the 🥧‘s, Ros got me to try one of her famous sausage rolls. Holy smokes they were impressive, but I’m a 🥧 man and it was time to choose a 🥧 to review.
The 🥧 wall was full with options and good options at that. I was was going give the scallop 🥧 a run, but unfortunately I was a tad early when I did my review and the scallop 🥧’s weren’t quite ready. With that in mind, my next choice was the chunky steak curry. I’m a fan with anything involving curry, so I was excited to give this one a try.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $7 was quite reasonable for this 🥧. It was a fairly decent sized 🥧. Overall pretty good. 8/10
2. Meat Ratio – Very good, photos will show this was 95% full and full with huge chunks of tender meat. Maybe a bit here and there could have been used to fill this 🥧. 9.5/10
3. Flavour – Excellent !!! The meat chunks were massive and melted in your mouth. The photos may indicate that the 🥧 was a little dry, trust me it wasn’t. Ros uses a special mix of curry sauce that had a real after bite that was pretty awesome. It’s wasn’t hot enough to scare you away but it certainly let’s you know who’s in charge. Excellent flavour. 9/10
4. Pastry – This pasty was really good. Color. Shape and stability were all excellent. Top bake was crunchy and baked right through. The only negative and this was very minor was the bottom bake was a little under done and ever so slightly soft. Overall the pasty was very good. 9/10
5. Serving Temperature – This was perfect, no waiting required. The temp was spot on. 10/10
🥧🥧 45.5/50 🥧🥧
This was another terrific homemade 🥧. The chunks of meat and the special curry mix Ros adds in in this 🥧 was beautiful. Plus the $7 price tag was more than reasonable. The only negative and this was minor was the slight wet lines in the bottom. Overall this was a really nice product and for a person with no baking experience, Ros has done a sterling job.
This little cafe is a cracker, the food and 🥧’s options are endless, plus if your a sweet tooth your going to love this place. This is another little hidden gem that needs to be added to your travel plans.
A massive shout out to Brett and Ros for having me in and for their hospitality. I love visiting and reviewing these small family run businesses. Ros has no formal cooking qualifications, but all the products she hand makes here are absolutely superb. This is another example of small business owners rolling there sleeves up and having a massive go.
As mentioned on Friday night Geeveston RSL is a terrific place to make camp, $10 a night is epic value. The location is perfect and very central. Give yourself plenty of time to see such places such as Mt Hartz, Hastings Cave, Mystery Cave, Tahune Adventure Park and much more. Also if your searching for the best Kabab snack box ever you’ve gotta check out the Geeveston One Stop. Best chip bab I’ve ever had.
A huge shout out to the lads at the Geeveston Golf Club, they were the ones who gave me the tip on the Port Huon Trading Post. Also the Geeveston Golf Club is a cracking little track and if your traveling with your sticks it’s worth a hit.