Pik A Pie Bakery
After leaving Christies Beach we made the short journey towards Adelaide. Along the way we made a slight detour through the McLaren Vale area to go exploring and check a few things out. The area had vineyard after vineyard then out of the blue I spot a bakery at a little place called Meadows.
Meadows is a joint where if you blink you might miss this place but one place you won’t miss is
Pik A Pie Bakery – Meadows. Located at the cross intersection of Battunga, Nottage and Mawson Rds just look for all the cars and caravans.
Owner’s Justin and Kristy opened this bakery in June 2013. Justin was 17 at the time wasn’t even old enough to legally drink and vote. Justin’s 🥧 journey started as a seven year old where he assisted his old man Geoff at his McLaren Vale Bakery. Geoff has now stepped aside and Justin and Kristy now own and operate the McLaren Vale Bakery as well.
The Meadows bakery is quite stunning. The building has a great floor plan with loads of seating inside and out. The cabinet display is something else. I litually spent 30mins pacing up and down drooling over the massive variety of food on offer. Plus some of the daily specials here are insane for example – any 2 hot items on the menu (pies etc) and a cake for $11 !!! THATS INSNE VALUE
Out the back the team of bakers had trays and trays of 🥧’s coming out of the oven. I was totally blown away by how busy this place was. Justin was so busy the day I arrived, so I didn’t want to take up to much of his time, so with that in mind we decided to get cracking.
Gee wizz the selection of 🥧’s on offer here was terrific. There’s a great mix of meat, chicken and seafood 🥧’s which made this weeks decision even harder. In the end I went for one of Justin’s favorites the “Cheeseburger 🥧” it’s been a well over 12 months since my last cheeseburger 🥧 review so I was looking forward to this one.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $5.50 was dirt cheap. Most bakeries I’ve visited a standard Cheeseburger 🥧 would be considered as a gourmet 🥧, and priced well above the $6 to $6.50 range. Depth and diameter were great. Outstanding value 10/10
2. Meat Ratio – Totally full !!! Easy score 10/10
3. Flavour – Pretty bloody awesome !!! All the usual suspects are loaded into this one. A huge meat pattie, pickles, cheese, mustard and sauce. The pattie was beautifuly cooked and the melted cheese blended in perfectly. Excellent flavour !!! Loved it. 9.5/10
4. Pastry – Color, shrinkage shape and stability were all first class. The 🥧 didn’t move one bit !! Mind you it didn’t have a lot of time to move, as I was smashing it that fast. The bakes were slightly a little bit hit and miss. The bottom was cooked right through and was perfect, while the sides were a little thick and slightly underbaked. The top was incredibly flakey and ever so slightly underdone and but this certainly wasn’t nothing to worry about. Overall the pastry was nicely done. 8.5/10
5. Serving Temperature – Zero issues here !!! The serving temp was perfect. 10/10
As far as cheeseburger 🥧‘s go, this one is right up there. Everything about it was pretty awesome !!! The price was amazing as was the flavor. Only a couple of issues with the pastry and these were very minor. The baking team has delivered a quality product and without hesitation I’m recommending this 🥧. If your a cheeseburger lover like I am, this 🥧 is for you.
To Justin, Kristy and the entire staff a monumental thanks for your hospitality. This is an exceptional bakery and this is achieved through hard work and dedication. Everything about this bakery oozes class and the crowds flock to this place because of the quality food and service that’s here. Do not miss this place on your travels. Take the slight detour like we did and pop in and grab the daily special, trust me you won’t be disappointed.