When your thinking 🥧’s in the North QLD region, the only name that comes to mind is Phelan’s 🥧’s !!! A 🥧 institution since 1950 and one of the best things to come out of Ayr.
However this week, I wasn’t traveling to Ayr, I was heading down to the Moreton Bay area where the Phelan name still shines brighter than ever at Phelans Bakery located in Narangba.
Rodney & Jo have have operated this bakery since 1994. Not content with the 1 shop, Rodney and Jo then opened two more Caboolture and Morayfield.
Before we get into the review, I need to go back to the beginning. The Phelan 🥧 operation has been rolling on since 1950 starting in Ayr. Rodney is a third generation baker, but this almost didn’t happen. Rodney started his career as a butcher, working in several locations. He shortly realized he was in the wrong game and decided get stuck into baking. After his mum and dad moved to the Brisbane the Phelan 🥧 train continued south to Brisbane then eventually settling in Narangba. This family has been dishing up 🥧’s for over 70 years and i couldn’t wait to get amongst it and get this party started.
This week I wanted to strip back all the layers and get back to basics !!! I wanted a basic 🥧 you know a working class 🥧 !!! Rodney had no hesitation tossing me one of his best !!! The classic “Chunky Steak” it looked and smelt divine and I couldn’t wait to tuck in.
🥧🥧🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧🥧🥧
1. Value for Money – At $5.45 this price was spot on !!! This wasn’t a huge 🥧, but at just over five bucks you couldn’t complain. I’ve always said any 🥧 around that $5 to $6 is is great value. 8.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – Absolutely full !!!! Check out the photos. This pastry had zero room left in it !!! 10/10
3. Meat Flavour – The meat chucks were a decent size and incredibly tender. The gravy sauce was rich with flavor also. As far as traditional chunky’s go this was very good. 8/10
4. Pastry – Easily my favorite part about this 🥧. This pastry was under immense pressure, with meat attempting to overflow like a volcano. My worries we’re short lived, because this pastry didn’t move ONE bit !!!! The last bite was as good as the first. Flakey, golden brown, full of flavor this pastry had everything !!! Easy score 10/10
5. Temperature – Almost perfect. It was a tad 🔥and I mean a tad !!! I like to smash my 🥧’s straight away and in this case had to wait about 20 secs !!! Lol !!! 9.5/10
🥧🥧 Overall Rating 46/50 🥧🥧
This was a great 🥧 !!! I wanted basic and got more than I bargained for. Don’t get me wrong I love the gourmet 🥧’s, but every now and then you just want a normal meat 🥧 !!! This one delivered in spades !!! The absolute highlight was the pastry, it was next level. Plus for all the penny pinchers out there $5.45 was well priced.
I haven’t been been to Phelan’s other two bakeries, but this one is a little ripper and well worth a stop. With fifteen plus varieties of 🥧’s to choose from you cannot go wrong. Then add in every sweet imaginable, fresh sanga’s and rolls !!!! OMG !!! you’re gunna have a field day at this joint.
Narangba is a short 34km trip, north Brisbane and only 10mins off the Bruce H/WY. Phelan’s Bakery is opposite the train station, situated in a little shopping complex with heaps of parking.
This is a huge operation 38 staff, 3 locations, 1 🥧 factory and serving hungry customers 7 days a week. Talk about next level. Since 1950 the Phelan family has been baking outstanding 🥧’s and still 70 odd years later nothing has changed.
Rodney & Jo it was a absolute pleasure smashing your 🥧’s and sharing your families incredible 🥧 journey. Your passion for making the best products is still burning strong after nearly 30 years. Now that passion and drive is being handed over to your lad who will be the fourth generation Phelan to keep the 🥧 dream alive.