Perry’s Bakehouse Cafe
The tour was well and truly on the home stretch as we made our way south to the famous gold town of Charters Towers. For those south of the border Charters Towers is located about 135km south west of Townsville. Rich is history with gold discovered in this area way back in 1871.
Speaking of history, I had lined up a review at one of Charters Towers best known hang outs and a place that’s full of history and ’s, I’m referring to Perry’s Bakehouse Cafe
The bakery has been around for many many years but current owners Greg and Melanie have been here since 2014. This wasn’t there first rodeo, they had this bakery back in the mid 80’s for number of years sold and returned to the area once again.
Greg’s grandfather first started baking in Charters Towers in the mid 1920’s as a young man and now some 100 odd years later his recipe is still around. Greg a third generation baker is still using his families recipes that’s been so successful for many decades. How legendary is that ?
Open everyday except Monday’s this bakery is easy to find and is located in the business section of town. All the meat found in their ’s is sourced locally and the area is well known for its high of quality beef. After eyeing off the selection of ’s it was time to get cracking. I must warn you these guys have a serious “POTATO” fetish so nearly every on the menu contains some form of cooked spuds
This week I had a absolute plethora of ’s to choose from, everything looked outstanding. Greg was one step ahead of me and did his homework on me and immediately threw out his famous cracked pepper and potato . I’m a sucker for these things and gee it looked and smelt terrific.
1. Value for Money – $5.20 was bloody cheap !!!! It wasn’t huge nor small, it was a perfect priced and a square one too. Terrific value !!!! 9.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – Maybe a little bit more could have been squeezed under the lid but only a fraction. Overall you’d be pretty happy with this meat ratio. 9/10
3. Meat Flavour – Loved it !!! The cracked pepper was hotter than normal but simply stunning. The mince was cooked perfectly, while the potato was something very different but blended perfectly. Add in splashes of onion and you have a awesome flavored . 9.5/10
4. Pastry – The top bake was cooked great, but the same as last weeks review, the bottom bake was slightly undercooked. The pastry itself was nice and firm and stability was also perfect. The flavor of the pastry was also very good. Overall pretty good. 8/10
5. Temperature – Cooked to perfection. The temp was spot on. 10/10
This was a little beauty. The price point and flavor were clear standouts. At $5.20 it represented excellent value. The flavor itself was spot on. The mince was super fine, potato was a master stroke. If you enjoy your cracked pepper a little on the side your gunna love this .
This bakery is a little gem, it’s been around for a long time and it’s not hard to see why. The food it’s quality, the staff are quality the whole place is quality. So much variety to from and the coffee is next level too.
Greg, Melanie and the team, thanks for having me in on such a busy morning and allowing me to share your story. The continued passion you have in the industry after all these years is truly inspiring. Pubs and bakeries are the cornerstones to most country towns and this bakery is a prime example of this. Keep up the great work team.
Charters Towers is a town well worth visiting. The history of the place is incredible and the area offers so much to see and do. Plus if you love a few’s, there’s no shortage of pubs in town.
Also i need to send out a plug to the crew at the Texas Longhorn Tours. This tour is a dead set must !!! I Knew nothing about this place or the tour before we got to town but I’m so glad we did it. Make sure you book early as it’s very popular and for a good reason.