Ocean St Bakehouse
This weeks review was totally unexpected to say the least. I was walking out of the Port Elliot bakery when I got a call from a lady called Priscilla. She quickly informed me that her and husband Chris operate a nearby bakery at Victor Harbor and she was the sister in law of Sharon the owner of the bakery i had just reviewed. Priscilla also mentioned that her bakery also does a pie of the month and they have just come fresh out of the oven. That was all the convincing i needed, so I got in the car and shot up the road to Victor Harbor to see her.
Ocean Street Bakehouse is located on the water end of Ocean street and as mentioned earlier is owned and operated by Priscilla and husband Chris. The bakery has been there for nearly 30 years, with these guys at the helm for just over 5 of them. Chris a second generation baker has been in the baking game for many years. Prior to buying their current bakery him and Priscilla were part owners of the Port Elliot bakery for roughly 20 years. I’ve also gotta give a special mention to senior baker Scott who has been there for just over 17 years !!! Now that’s pretty awesome.
Open 6 days a week and employing around 20 staff this is another family run bakery with Priscilla’s daughter Stacey working in the bakery and is helping managing the place. The bakery itself has got plenty of seating and the menu options here were plentiful especially the 🥧 menu. With 🥧 options of mince and chunky steak in many flavours it’s a very impressive line up.
This week was easy, I already had my choice of 🥧 well and truly sorted. For the second straight review I wanted to try a bakeries 🥧 of the month. Ocean Street Bakehouse had come up with a beauty and this month was a “Chunky Steak, Cheese, Jalapeño’s, Chili and Corn Chips” thats an impressive combination.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – At $6.20 this was an extremely well priced 🥧. Although it wasn’t huge, it still was a decent sized 🥧. Great value. 9.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – Totally full. Zero complaints from my end. 10/10
3. Flavour – This was pretty dam good. Listen to this decent sized chunks of slow cooked beef, mince, chili, Jalapeño, red kidney beans, cheese, assorted corn chips and vege crackers !!! Every bite got better and better. This was a great flavoured 🥧. 9.5/10
4. Pastry – A little bit of shrinkage but nothing major. Color and stability more than satisfactory and the 🥧 didn’t move a inch. The bottom bake was soft but more importantly held together to the last bite. Only real negative was just under the lid was underdone. Once again nothing huge and didn’t effect the taste but was clearly evident. 7/10
5. Serving Temperature – Could have been a little hotter but nothing major. Overall pretty good. 9.5/10
🥧🥧 45.5/50 🥧🥧
The combination of flavours in this 🥧 was beautiful. If you want a true mexican experience your going to love this 🥧. The added corn chips were a genius idea. The price and meet ratio were on point and the temperature wasn’t far away. While the bottom pastry was a little soft it held together like glue. Only negative was the top bake just under the lid was under baked. Overall this was a quality product and a 🥧 I would have again in a heartbeat. Good job lads.
This is another bakery you need to add to your list. Plus if you arrive later in the day, don’t panic they still serve food right through to close at 5pm. There’s nothing fancy about this place, just a good old fashion family bakery with an excellent choice of all the old fashion favorites.
Priscilla, Chris, Stacey and the team a massive thanks for having me in. I’m so glad you legends gave me a call and gave me the heads up about your cracking bakery. The products you serve up are of the highest quality and I wish you guys all the best.
Victor Harbor is 100% worth stoping in and exploring. The whole foreshore prescient is stunning. Plus give yourself enough time to pop over to Granite Island and do the walk around. The views are stunning and you never know, you might see some gorgeous penguins wandering around.