Nanango Pie Van
This weeks review was about hitting the road and heading out to the country. I’m not talking county country, but I was heading about two and a half hours south west of Noosa to the South Burnett Area. About 140km west of Caboolture you will find Nanango. I wasn’t actually heading into the town itself. I was making a bee line to the Nanango Pie Van.
This 🥧 van has been around for some time, but it was re-booted in May 2020. 2020 was the most craziest year on record, but mother and son duo Michael and Lyn made the crazy decision to buy the 🥧 van plus giving it a much needed facelift.
The van is very easy to find and stands out like 🐶🎾🎾’s. The colors are bright and don’t stress there’s heaps of parking available. Lyn’s family has been around the area for many many years with Lyn working in just about every place in her life before settling inside a caravan selling glorious 🥧’s.
I need to make it very clear these 🥧’s are not made by Michael and Lyn they purchase these 🥧’s from a bakery in town and sell them out of the van.
Choosing a 🥧 for this weeks review was going to be a difficult decision. Lyn and Michael were going through the entire menu and every single 🥧 sounded awesome. Then Micael asked me if I liked Curry 🥧’s !!! Seriously does a 🐻 💩 in the woods !!!! bloody oath I do !! I love all🥧’s !!!! He insisted that i give the Curry one a crack.
🥧🥧🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧🥧🥧
1. Value for Money – Very good value at $5.70. This was a very generous sized 🥧. Nice and round and relatively deep. I may sound like a broken record but once again any decent sized 🥧 priced between $5 and $6 is terrific value and this was no different. 9//10
2. Meat Ratio – Absolutely full and I mean absolutely. Zero room left at all. 10/10
3. Meat Flavour – The curry flavor was strong but not overpowering. The meat was tender and plentiful. As curry flavors go this was pretty good. 8/10
4. Pastry – Excellent !!!! This was my favorite part of this 🥧 by a country mile. The top was golden and flakey, while the bottom was incredibly soft and was on its best behavior. The meat was bursting at the seams and this 🥧 held firm tight. 9.5/10
5. Temperature – The 🥧 warmer was spot on here. The temp was perfect. No joke this 🥧 was devoured in about 6 bites !!!! 10/10
🥧🥧 Overall Rating 46.5/50 🥧🥧
This was a great 🥧 !!! The Meat ratio was incredible and the pastry was superb. The curry flavor was stronger than normal which made this 🥧 taste even better. Once again I need to remind you guys that the 🥧’s sold in this van are made in town at Bake My Day Bakery. Regardless of where there made this 🥧 was bloody awesome !!!!
Michael & Lynn are here 6 days a week in the same piece of dirt. It may be small but this van packs a serious punch. From 🥧’s to sausage rolls even Hot Dogs this van will have you well and truly covered. If your impressed by the 🥧’s your going to be blown away by the art work on this van. Every detail painted on this van was painted by Lyn, dead set it’s Sydney Nolan quality !!!
If your passing through Nanango make this 🥧 van a must stop !!! Like most 🥧 vans in Australia they rely heavily on passing tourists and local traffic and this van is no different. These guys couldn’t have picked a worse time to re-launch this 🥧 van. I’m positive in saying this but stopping in, grabbing a few items and having a yarn wound be greatly appreciated by Michael and Lyn.
Lastly I couldn’t forget where these 🥧’s came from Bake My Day is situated in the heart of Nanango near the IGA and owners Ross and Lee are bloody champions. I quickly stopped in and introduced myself and was given more 🥧’s to sample !!!! This is another family owned and run business, with Dad baking and making, while mum and daughters are busy running the front of house. So while your in town grabbing supplies on your way through, please stop in and support these guys as well.
Nanango and the whole South Burnett region is 100% worth a visit. It’s a picturesque drive from the coast with a plethora of things to see and do along the way. As mentioned these little communities rely on tourists dollars and I encourage anyone who hasn’t visited this area to start planning and get amongst it.