Mundubbera Bakery & Cafe
After seeing the kids and dropping the dogs off it was time to hit the road again. This next tour will be roughly 3 months and we are heading towards the Northern Territory. We were last up this back in 2021, but only just scratched the surface and was restricted by COVID 19. We wanted to head back and see everything this amazing place has to offer.
Our first stop over was the little town of Monto in the North Burnett region. Before we got there, i popped in and met the new owners at the Gayndah Bakery, then into the town of Mundubbera. We have traveled this road many times before, but never detoured off the Burnett Highway into the pretty township of Mundubbera.
The day we passed through you couldn’t miss the bakery, there was a horse lined up out the front waiting to smash some 🥧’s !!! Mundubbera Bakery & Café is open 6 days a week, situated in the main drag and owned and operated by Beau and Kate.
These two have had this bakery around 4 years and prior to taking over had no baking experience. Beau worked at the council as a facility officer, while Kate worked at the local servo. These two 🥧 legends are doing a wonderful job and have this place absolutely humming.
I wanted to get straight into a few 🥧’s before they were all gone, as it very busy the day we visited and the horse out the front was chomping at the bit to get stuck into a few as well.
This weeks 🥧 of choice was your old school mince 🥧. Nothing fancy but a few of the locals said I was going to enjoy the flavor in this one.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $5.50 was reasonable value. The diameter was great but the depth wasn’t the biggest. Still if you find any 🥧 for around the $5.50 price range your doing well. 8/10
2. Meat Ratio – Pretty full, the 🥧 had sagged a little in the middle, but apart from that it was pretty full and you would be happy with this 8.5/10
3. Flavour – For a basic meat 🥧 this bad boy had terrific flavor. Mince, worstishire sauce, bbq sauce and tomato paste. The combination of sauces made this 🥧 what it was. The exact flavour was hard to describe but it was beautiful. Great job guys really enjoyed it. 9/10
4. Pastry – Color, shape, shrinkage and stability all ok. Top pastry’s bake and thickness were quite good, while the bottom was a little thick and marginally under baked. The pastry flavour was really nice. Overall pretty good. 7/10
5. Serving Temperature – Excellent servicing temp. 10/10
🥧🥧 42.5/50 🥧🥧
For a plain meat 🥧 this one was a little beauty. The flavour was the clear standout in my opinion. The combination of sauces really gave this 🥧 some real extra flavour. While it wasn’t the biggest of 🥧’s $5.50 was reasonable value. A few points to work on with the pastry but nothing major. Overall I’ve got no hesitation recommending this particular flavoured 🥧.
To Beau and Kate a massive thanks for your hospitality. This is a really nice bakery and with no baking experience you guys are doing an incredible job. Next time your in this area take to short trip off the main road and pop into Mundubbera and visit this epic town and bakery.