Mt Carbine Roadhouse
After leaving the tip we started to make our was south. We had a couple cracking overnight stays at Moreton Telegraph Station and Hann River Roadhouse. Both were great places to camp up for the night but sadly not a 🥧 in sight.
We were on our way to Cooktown for a few days but before we got our destination, I made a slight detour to Mt Carbine Roadhouse.
Mt Carbine is situated about 140 north of Cairns and has a population of around 100 people. The roadhouse is open 9am to 3pm (closed Tuesday’s) and serves up delicious home made 🥧’s
The list of 🥧’s available at this little roadhouse is quite impressive. 10 flavored 🥧‘s to choose from and they all looked terrific. I was super hungry and it had been over a week since my last 🥧, so I decided to try two of these beauties. I grabbed the plan mince 🥧 and curry 🥧. This review will be based on the Curry 🥧.
🥧THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – At $6.50 this represents very good value. The 🥧 weighed in excess of 260 grams and was a fairly decent sized 🥧in diameter. You certainly couldn’t complain about this price tag. 9.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – Totally full and I mean totally !!! Once again this represented excellent value for money. 10/10
3. Meat Flavour – Both 🥧’s were beautiful. The curry one in particular had the perfect blend of curry mix. The meat was cooked to perfection and melted in your mouth. This was a perfect curry flavor !!!! Loved it !!! 10/10
4. Pastry – The top pastry excellent. Firm and super crunchy. The bottom and sides were brittle and I had to eat this 🥧 upside down. You had to be strategic eating this 🥧, because there was a risk your 🥧 could fall apart. 6.5/10
5. Serving Temperature – Both 🥧’s were pipping hot 🔥 and I had to wait several minutes before my assault began. I don’t mind my 🥧’s a little warm but both these were really really hot. 8/10
🥧🥧 44/50 🥧🥧
I really enjoyed this Curry 🥧, it had a lot going for it. As far as home made 🥧‘s go this was right up there. The price, meat ratio and flavor were all superb. The only negatives and these were minor were the pastry and serving temperature. With the pastry you need to bare in mind all these 🥧‘s are baked in a simple Sunbeam 🥧 machine, so the pastry is always going to be difficult to get right. These are the type of 🥧‘a you need to be seated while eating. I attempted to eat mine while driving and you had to be on your game otherwise it was going to end up in your groin.
Mt Carbine Roadhouse is 100% worth the stop in. The 🥧’s here are all made with ❤️ and are a must try. Bruce and Janine have been at the helm for over 18 year and saw a need for fresh 🥧‘s and are killing it !!! The amount of people we ran into up the Cape that mentioned these 🥧’s was ridiculous and I’m so glad we stopped in.
Speaking of stopping in, add the Lions Den Hotel to your travel plans. The camping facilities are awesome and this hotel is one of the most iconic pubs in the country. It was a epic place to spend my birthday and a place we will defiantly come back to.