Mount Surprise Tourist Park and Motel
After passing through Croydon, Georgetown, Forsyth and Einasleigh without a in sight, I was thinking shit it could be a while before we hit our next bakery. Then out of the blue we drove into Mt Surprise and I immediately saw the word “Bakery”. So we hit the skids, found a place to park and went over for a look.
Look this isn’t your usual bakery it’s a bakery/man shed. This place has turned into a popular tourist spot for passing travelers. I didn’t get to meet the owner but word has it he’s a Jack of all trades. From baking pies, to driving busses even handling snakes this legend does everything. When we pulled up he was doing a snake handling show to a bus load of tourists. What a absolute champion.
As mentioned above, this place quite tiny and unique, the the options a limited. So I just opted for the standard Chunky Steak .
1. Value for Money – $7.50 yeah it was up there !!!! The was of standard size, height and width. Once again this wasn’t your traditional bakery and you were in a fairly remote part of QLD, so you need to take that into account. In saying that it was a tad over priced. 7/10
2. Meat Ratio – The was relatively full, however the top pastry had sunken a bit, leaving what could potentially been more room to squeeze a little bit more meat inside. 7.5/10
3. Meat Flavour – The flavor was the best part. The meat pieces were very generous and incredibly tender. The gravy mix was near perfect which gave this the extra zing it needed. Very good flavor 9/10
4. Pastry – The top base was beautiful and cooked great. However if you zoom into the photo you will see that the base was white and undercooked. The stability was terrific and the didn’t move. Apart from the base the overall pastry was good. 7.5/10
5. Temperature – It’s very rare that I’m critical with this category, but sadly this was a little cold. Another punter next to me also commented that his could have been warmer as well. Sadly this effected the overall score. 5/10
Overall Rating 36/50
Apart the lack of heat this wasn’t bad at all. The flavor alone would get be back there again for another crack. The overall pastry was pretty good and the stability was excellent which makes this ideal for traveling.
Mt Surprise and this bakery is a ideal place to stop in, have a rest, chill out and stretch the legs. Heaps of seating and parking plus if you wanna pull up camp for the night the caravan park/campground was superb and very reasonably priced.
Cobbold Gorge, Copperfield Gorge and Undarra Lava Tubes are a MUST STOP, while your in the area. Whilst Cobbold was nice, the swimming hole at Copperfield Gorge and the nearby Einasleigh Pub was bloody awesome.
A massive thanks to Don and Meryl for fitting us in at the Goldfields Caravan Park Georgetown Qld at Georgetown. The park is cheap and the facilities are terrific. If you don’t wanna lug your van all the way into Cobbold this place isn’t far to make the gorge a simple day trip.