Mount Cotton Sourdough Bakers
This weeks review came totally out of the blue to say the least. My original plan was to pop into Mount Cotton Sourdough Bakers to say gday to the owner Brad. I first met Brad a few years ago when I reviewed his epic lamb vindaloo 🥧 over at his Stone Artisan Bakers Greenslopes.
12 months ago Brad opened up his third bakery located at Mt Cotton. So this visit was 12 months in the making and I was keen to check out the new shop.
The new bakery is stunning. The layout, cabinets and lighting are all first class and well put together. The crew at All About Bakery Equipment who assisted Brad with this fit out have done an incredible job. The plan was to have a PFD (pie free day) but I couldn’t leave here without having another one of Brad’s 🥧’s.
Easy choice this week, I was really keen to try the Wagyu steak. The last review I did at his other bakery they had sold out of this flavour.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $7.40 is up there on the high end of the scale but so is the price of wagyu steak. This 🥧 was a decent size in both diameter and depth. 8/10
2. Meat Ratio – Almost perfect, the top bake had sunk a tad so a little bit could have been added here and there. I’m nitpicking a little bit here but overall you shouldn’t have any complaints with this one 9.5/10
3. Flavour – Zero issues here !! Loved this flavour. The wagyu steak was cooked to perfection and literally melted in my mouth. The dark gravy sauce made this 🥧 complete. Job well done guys !!! 10/10
4. Pastry – A little mixed bag here. Stability, color top and bottom bakes all very good. Shape and shrinkage needed a little improvement but nothing major. Top bake was a little too thick and flakey but other 🥧 legends may like that. The flavor of the pasty was excellent. 8.5/10
5. Serving Temperature – Perfect 10/10
🥧🥧 46/50 🥧🥧
This 🥧 was a little beauty. Very basic ingredients and it’s worked a treat. The wagyu steak pulled apart and melted in your mouth and the dark rich gravy sauce was beautiful. Pastry was cooked right through, however the top bake was a little bit to flakey and thick.
The bakery fit out is stunning and worth the visit alone. You won’t be disappointed. If your a buy with your eyes person take plenty of cash to this joint because you will want to buy every item you see. Add this place to your own 🥧 map guys.
Brad is an absolute legend and an outstanding business owner. Running and operating three separate bakeries would be a huge task but Brad takes it all in his stride and gets on with businesses. He’s also been a huge supporter of my charity work and I cannot thank him enough for his support.