Hi 🥧 lovers this week saw me hit the road and venture about 60mins from Noosa. Making my way through the Sunshine Coast Hinterland and eventually lobbing at the little village of Mooloolah Valley. Mooloolah Valley is a small hinterland town situated between Palmwoods and Landsborough. Right in the Main Street you will find the historic Mooloolah Bakery. This place has been serving locals and travelers for years but owners Shane and Christine have been operating here just over 2 years.
Shane’s story is truly remarkable. Shane’s great grandfather, grandfather and father were all barbers but Shane bucked that trend and decided to become a chef. After finishing his apprenticeship, Shane worked as head chef for large hotel group managing a huge team of chefs. After a few years of dishing up Alacarte food Shane decided to have a crack at owning his own bakery. The journey started in Adelaide then heading north up to Cairns before taking a detour off the WA coast where Shane dished up meals for 500 hungry oil drillers out at sea. After 10 years Shane settled back on the Sunshine Coast owning several bakeries before settling in Mooloolah Valley.
This bakery is really tiny in size but packs a huge 🥊 employing 15 staff in total !!! Manager Corina runs the show here and quickly showed me around her small but very productive work place. The whole time I was there it was bloody busy !!! The girls were flat out serving 🥧’s, wraps, rolls, soup and smashing out the coffees !!!!!
Choosing my 🥧 to review was a complex matter. I asked all the girls in the shop what was their favorite 🥧 was and everyone gave me a different answer. But i recalled a conversion I had recently with fellow 🥧 enthusiast Joe Foley and he said the Chucky Steak 🥧 was the bomb !!!! So that’s exactly what I chose.
🥧🥧🥧🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧🥧🥧🥧
1. Value for Money – 6 bucks was terrific value for this 🥧. It was massive and bloody heavy. It was that big I couldn’t get my mouth around the bugger. When you pay anymore than $5.50 for a 🥧 you would expect a decent size and this didn’t disappoint. 9.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – Man this 🥧 was fully loaded and seriously bursting at the seams. This was a easy score and if you’ve had a Chunky Steak 🥧 from here before, I’m absolutely positive you would agree with me. 10/10
3. Meat Flavour – Huge chunks of steak, garlic, onion and seasoning this 🥧 had it all. The entire 🥧 from start to finish was full a flavor. Probably the only criticism it was a little dry for my liking. 8/10
4. Pastry – Once again like all good 🥧’s should it was extremely flakey and held together. Because this 🥧 was so big the pastry had to be firm to hold everything in and it did. 9/10
5. Temperature – Ready to go straight away. No waiting required. If I was nit picking it was a tad cooler than i normally like it but overall very good temp. 9/10
🥧🥧🥧🥧 Overall 45.5/50 🥧🥧🥧🥧
Overall this 🥧 was really good. The size was massive and this was a dead set meal !!!! I would normally smashed 2 🥧’s no question asked but this thing got the better of me. As the photos show the meat chunks were also a decent size.
For all of you that haven’t visited Mooloolah Valley area before your massively missing out. It’s a crazy busy little village and the Mooloolah Bakery is a absolute must stop. Parking Isn’t a problem plus there’s ample seating in the bakery and around town to enjoy your 🥧 and don’t forget the coffee. This place is open 7 days to cater for locals and traveling grey nomads.
I need to send out a massive thanks to the girls for their hospitality. Corina, Stevie, Elisha & Kirby. What a bunch of legends. Then the coolest cat of all is Shane !!! I forgot to mention this champion rocked up driving a classic black Corvette. Do I need to say any more !!!!! I say it most weeks but I truly could have chatted to Shane for hours. This absolute champion has seriously done it all. The places he’s been, the places he’s worked and the stories he told were inspirational. When asked did he still enjoy baking straight away he replied “Bloody Oath” I cannot think him enough for his time and sharing his families amazing bakery journey.