Mick’s Bread Kitchen
After consuming about 12 🥧‘s in 7 days i was starting to feel a little jaded and almost 🥧’d out, but I knew I was on the home stretch of the Cape York tour and needed to dig deep and man up. One place that was getting me a little excited was Mick’s Bread Kitchen in Ingham. So many 🥧 legends tipped me into this epic joint and told me it’s a must stop.
Owners Mick and Simone have been here since 1990 !!!! That’s right 32 years strong and still powering on. Mick is a local lad through and through, he started baking around the age of fourteen. Fast forward a few decades laters and his knowledge and experience is being handed down to his 15 staff.
Everything in the bakery is made from scratch and all ingredients are sourced from local businesses. Open 6 days a week and situated on the northern end of town this bakery is a beauty and will cater for everyone’s needs.
In choosing a 🥧 to review this week, I totally left the decision up to Simone. Every 🥧 in the warmer looked beautiful particularly the color. In the end Simone wanted me to try one of their gourmet range 🥧‘s. So we went with the slow cooked pork bathed in smokey hickory sauce.
🥧THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – Yes $7.30 is certainly up there for a 🥧 of this size. It wasn’t the biggest of 🥧’s but it was of industry standard. In it’s defense this was a gourmet 🥧 and most gourmet 🥧 I’ve tasted and reviewed are in the $7 range. 8/10
2. Meat Ratio – This 🥧 wasn’t the biggest but it was completely full and full of huge pieces of pork. No complaints here. 10/10
3. Meat Flavour – Stunning !!!! The pork was super tender and the smokey hickory sauce was like the icing on the cake. I smashed this 🥧 in about five bites. Loved this flavor, job well done. 10/10
4. Pastry – Apart from the bottom pastry being a tad think and top ever so slightly underbaked, everything else about this pasty was excellent. Stability was perfect and the 🥧 didn’t move. I have to say all Mick’s 🥧 have the best color and zero shrinkage. Great job !!! 9/10
5. Serving Temperature – 100% perfect !!!! Great job. 10/10
🥧🥧 47/50 🥧🥧
This gourmet 🥧 oozed class. The flavor was a clear standout and I couldn’t get enough of it. The slow cooked pork was beautiful as was the hickory sauce it sat in. The photos may indicate that the pork looked dry, this couldn’t be further from the truth, It was stunning. The pasty was also sensational. Apart from the bottom bake being a tad thick everything else was perfect and i loved everything about this 🥧. Porks not my first choice of meat in a 🥧 but Mick has nailed this one. If your passing through Ingham or making travel plans to North Queensland add this ripping bakery to your list and itinerary.
The charity work this bakery does is simply outstanding. For the past 25 years they have employed Scotty, who has down syndrome. With the help of the Endeavor Foundation and his carer, Scotty works a few hours every Thursday and he’s considered a very valuable part of Mick and Simone’s successful team. It’s so beautiful ❤️❤️and more bakeries should jump on board with this concept.
Make sure you check out big crystal and little crystal creeks. Both were absolutely amazing. The swimming holes were epic and trust me you don’t wanna miss this place.