Last week julie & I and our fur babies hit the road and travelled up to Hervey Bay for mum’s birthday. Before we got their we had to stop into one of the best kept secrets. North of Gympie and just off the Bruce Highway you will find the little village of Gunalda and sitting in the middle of town is Mi-Bakery Owners Wally & Lisa have operated the bakery for a little over 4 years.
Both these two have had over 50 years baking and cooking experience. Wally born and breed in NQ has worked in nearly every bakery in the states north but decided to head south in early 2016 and take up a concerting job in Gympie.
Now this is where this story gets interesting. The first day of his new job (concreting) Wally decided grab a 🥧 from one of the shops in Gympie. The legend baker took 1 bite into this 🥧 and almost threw up 💩 !!! Disgusted in what he saw and just tasted went back to work quit his job and him and Lisa established MI Bakery there and then !!!!! Now seriously who does that ? Wally does !!! Because he’s got a true passion for baking bread, sweets and best of all baking quality 🥧’s
This place is small but packs a mean punch. Apart from the amazing 🥧’s this place has outstanding sangas and coffee. Helping them bake these glorious masterpieces is Brendan. Now this ripping lad is a jack of all trades but it recent times has roped Wally & Lisa into a very interesting hobby Medievalism !!!! Most weekends you will find them at Victory Village at Riverbend Tiaro !!! Dressing up in suits of amour and cooking up all sorts of medieval food and of course 🥧’s
After chatting for ages about swords and guillotines it was time to slice and dice my way through a 🥧. I left the choice up to Brendan and he chose on of his favorites the Steak, Bacon & Cheese.
🥧🥧🥧🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧🥧🥧🥧
1. Value for Money – 5 Bucks !!!! Yep this 🥧 was shaped like a AFL oval and nearly as big as one. Once again to score a 🥧 like this for $5 is crazy value !!!! 10/10
2. Meat Ratio – Plenty of fuel in this one !!! Filled with quality meat, steak and cheese. This beauty was as full as I was leaving Billy’s Backyard BBQ last Thursday !!!! Easy to score 10/10
3. Meat Flavour – This 🥧 has unbelievable flavor. The meat, bacon and cheese blended beautifully !!!! Plus add a hint of pepper to top it off. 9/10
4. Pastry – Possibly the BEST pastry I’ve had in a 🥧. Wally the absolute champion adds his special flavor to his pastry bases !!!! So not only is your 🥧 flavored the pastry base is al well !!! Now that’s winning. 10/10
5. Temperature – A little cool but still warm enough to eat straight away !!!! This was probably my fault sitting around chatting instead of concentrating on the job at hand. 9/10
🥧🥧🥧🥧 Overall 48/50 🥧🥧🥧🥧
This 🥧 was a bloody beauty!!!! Could have easily smashed 2 of these buggers !!!!! Everything about it was top class. Once again I’ve gotta rap the pastry again easy 5 AWESOME’S
I’m so glad Wally didn’t stick to concreting. This legend bakes a bloody awesome 🥧. Blended with local products and Wally’s special pastry recipe. When visiting don’t just settle for a 🥧, this place has a massive assortment of everything that will hit the mark and more.
This is a classic example of a small businesses that relies on grey nomads and loyal locals. So if your on the road between Gympie and Maryborough make this place a must STOP !!!! Don’t stop at the servo and grab a feed there, stop in at Gunalda and see these legends. Simply look for the Gunalda exit off the Bruce Highway, travel 200m down the road and you cannot miss this place. These guys are open Tue through to Sat. These hidden businesses need our support and exposure and I’m hoping this review can create a little bit more traffic through there door.
Again a massive thanks to Wally, Lisa & Brendan for having the Pyne crew in last week. Your positive attitude is very infectious and I will be stopping back time and time again that’s for sur