After checking out Ravenshoe and Herberton it was time to continue exploring the tablelands and see what else was on offer. We decided to hit the waterfall circuit but before that, I wanted to duck into Malanda and check out the bakery and their ‘s.
Malanda is located between Atherton and Millaa Millaa high up in tablelands. The bakery is situated in English Street and the building has various bright colors and cannot be missed.
I didn’t have much time so this was a very quick visit. Upon first inspection the place was spotless, plenty of seating and had a terrific selection of ‘s and other goodies.
Choosing a was very easy, It’s been ages since I’ve reviewed a steak, bacon and cheese , so without hesitation I grabbed one and was eager to get stuck in.
1. Value for Money – $5.75 is once again good value. The was of standard size and depth too. It’s not often you get a under $6 and this was one of them. 9/10
2. Meat Ratio – Pretty good. Could have been a little more fill under the lid, but overall acceptable. 8/10
3. Meat Flavour – The meat was extremely tender, but sadly this lacked a bit of flavor. I couldn’t taste the cheese nor bacon. Maybe I was given the wrong by mistake, but I need to score this as i saw it. 4.5/10
4. Pastry – Excellent !!! The color, shrinkage, top bake, bottom bake and stability were a massive ’s up. The pastry had a beautiful flavor to it. Great job. 10/10
5. Serving Temperature – Spot on !!!! Excellent serving temp. 10/10
Apart from the lack of cheese n bacon, this was overall a decent . The meat was tender enough and tasty, but lacked serious cheese n bacon flavor and looking back it looked like plain mince not steak. The pastry on the other hand was fantastic. I particularly loved the color and taste of the pastry. The top and bottom bake was cooked right through. The price point was also very good. Looking back I’m fairly convinced I got the wrong and maybe received plain steak or mince in stead of my Steak, Cheese & Bacon. happens and I’m sure it was a honest mistake.
Malanda is a cute little town with a cute little bakery. The bakery has a great selection of ‘s, cakes and other sweat treats and this bakery is certainly worth the visit. So many people recommended this bakery and for good reason. One thing is for sure, I’m going to give this the benefit of the doubt and come back for round 2 when we return to the area.
Malanda, Millaa Milla, Yungaburra and surrounding areas are stunning and are a must see. There is so much on offer here but the various waterfalls were clearly my favorite.