Macs Oven Foods
Hey guys our 🥧 journey continued to roll on and this time rolling further west out to Broken Hill and Silverton. This area is a genuine working class mining town. I’m it’s prime this place had just over 72 pubs operating !!!! Just imagine doing a pub crawl with 72 pubs !!! that would be a mission. Now every working class man loves a good 🥧 and after speaking to several locals there was only one place to find one and that lead me to Macs Oven Foods
Owners Greg and Marcia are not 2nd or 3rd generation bakers. Greg was a miner for donkeys years and Marcia a registered nurse for over 30 years. Several years ago the opportunity came up to own and run a bakery and these guys dived head first into the deep end and haven’t looked back.
It’s a similar story in every county town we are visiting. COVID 19 hasn’t been kind and has taken it’s toll. Broken Hill relies on a lot of traveling tourists and is right on the border between NSW & SA. With the borders being closed the town was very quiet and a lot of businesses suffered including Macs Oven Foods.
But Greg and Marcia have powered through the tough times and have come out the other side. When I rolled through the door I was immediately drawn to the size of the pies and couldn’t wait to tuck in.
I left the choice of 🥧 for this weeks review up to Greg. He rates is pepper 🥧 massively and insisted i give that one a whirl. As you guys are fully aware now I’m a huge fan of the pepper 🥧 so I didn’t need much convincing.
🥧🥧🥧🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧🥧🥧🥧
1. Value for Money – $5.20 is bloody awesome value for this 🥧. It was a very decent size plus was nice and deep. Any 🥧 that’s around the 5 buck price is a bargain. 9/10
2. Meat Ratio – This 🥧 was almost full. But you need to take into account the 🥧 itself was a very deep, so it would take a lot of meat to fill this bugger. 8.5/10
3. Meat Flavour – I absolutely loved the added pepper flavor to this 🥧. The mince was of the highest premium and was super tender. For a traditional pepper 🥧 this was excellent. 8.5/10
4. Pastry – Yep !!! Absolutely nailed it. The 🥧 held together magnificently, the top was super flakey. Best of all the whole pastry had great flavor to it. 9/10
5. Temperature – Absolutely Perfect !!!! Loved it. 10/10
🥧🥧🥧🥧 Overall 45//50 🥧🥧🥧🥧
This 🥧 was tip top. For a ex miner and registered nurse these guys make bloody awesome 🥧’s. The best part for me was the price and little extra pepper kick. For $5.20 this was a great value considering the size.
If you love your traditional 🥧’s this place is a must. Everything is super fresh and all made with local products. Ive gotta mention one of Greg’s special 🥧’s. if your a fan of the 🌶🌶, the Very Hot Chilli 🥧 is OUTSTANDING !!!! I was a little scared at first but was hooked from the first bite !!!!!
This place is so easy to find it’s right in the middle of the main drag with heaps of parking. Greg & Marcia had limited notice but were so accommodating. Greg’s a champion fella who’s done everything but has now found his place baking glorious 🥧’s. Massive thanks for having me in and allowing me to share your story.
If you haven’t been out to Broken Hill or Silverton get in the car and do the road trip it’s a cracking place with so much to see and do. Yes it’s a long way to travel but defiantly worth the trip and see the amazing countryside and meet the amazing locals.
The only disappointment was the closure of Silverton bakery !!! I’ve now been to 2 of the remotest towns in 🇦🇺 with iconic pubs in Silverton & Birdsville but sadly both times the bakeries have been closed.