This was another review that almost didn’t happen. After stopping at Dunedoo to check out the silo art, we hopped in the luxi and cruised down the main drag when out of the blue I saw one of the best signs ever. There is black it read “Dinky Di Dogs Eyes” For those of you who may not know or possibly lived under a rock for the past 50 odd years “Dogs Eye” is Aussie slang for 🥧.
The sign had me massively intrigued, so we pulled up and went for a look. That’s where I met owners Ben and Katherine with a K. These 🥧 legends have operated this cafe for the past 11 years. Originally selling hot chooks, they soon realized that scoffing down a hot bird on the run was a little difficult for the passing truckie and other motorists. So they started making there own homemade 🥧’s and as they say the rest is history.
The place is only open 5 days a week Mon – Fri 9am to 4pm and you better get in early as word has quickly spread in the truckie world and these 🥧’s have become very popular. The look and smell of these 🥧’s was pretty bloody awesome and I was keen to get started.
Easy choice this week !!! As soon as I saw the word stroganoff on the 🥧 board, I was sold. I’m a massive fan of the beef stroganoff and the last one i reviewed was way in Mt Isa way back in 2021. So I was pretty excited to get stuck into this one.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $7 was very good value. This was an oval like shaped 🥧 with plenty of filling. It was quite heavy as well. No hesitations paying $7 again for a 🥧 of this quality and size again. 9.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – photos don’t lie, this 🥧 was totally full. Zero complaints. 10/10
3. Flavour – Excellent job !!! Stroganoff isn’t for everyone’s cup of tea, but I really enjoyed the flavour in this 🥧. The meat pieces were both threaded, chunky and incredibly tender. The sauce was also stunning. Great job. 9/10
4. Pastry – Really nice job here !!! Puff top and short crust bottom. The top bake was cooked right through and tasted terrific. The bottom was more than satisfactory however it was a little soft. Although the bottom was a tad soft the stability was perfect as was the color and shrinkage. 9/10
5. Serving Temperature – A little on the hot side but nothing major. 47/50
🥧🥧 47/50 🥧🥧
Cracking 🥧 !!!! If you love beef stroganoff, this 🥧 will be right up your alley. I’m a huge fan and when add this classic dish into a 🥧 it’s even better. The filling and flavor was easily the best part of this 🥧, it was beautiful. There was plenty of meat in this thing as well which was a real bonus. Overall this was a real solid 🥧 and highly recommended.
A massive thanks to Ben and Katherine for having me in. Once again this is another example of a 🇦🇺 couple rolling up there sleeves and having a massive go. Local businesses got hammered here during Covid and these guys come through the other side and continue to power on. In small business you need to act quick and adapt to changing times and these guys did that by introducing 🥧‘s to the menu and I’m glad they did.
Kakkadoo Kafe and the town of Dunedoo are 100% worth the stop in. This Kafe with a K and this little town survive on tourists stopping in and supporting local businesses. There is heaps of room in the Main Street to park up the van plus the silo art here is superb.