Jetty Road Bakehouse
Our time exploring Wallaroo and surrounds was pretty awesome, but we had to move on and keep making our way further down the Yorke. Our next destination was Burners Beach then on to Point Turton and this much talked about part of the Yorke Peninsula looked pretty amazing. Before we left Wallaroo I made a quick visit to the Jetty Road Bakehouse.
As the name suggests Jetty Road Bakehouse is located at 5 Jetty Road Wallaroo. Current owners Jason and Sally have been there for over 8 years. The bakery itself has been in the family name since around 1993. Jason’s uncle was the owner back then before handing the baton over to Jason’s parents, then finally passed onto Jason and Sally. Jason started in the baking game when he was 12 and yet fast forward 35 years and he still wants to be the best and deliver the best possible products.
Open Monday to Friday plus Saturday mornings the bakery itself is classy. The building itself is beautiful and once inside the cabinet display is super impressive as was the huge variety of goodies on offer. The cabinets were full with all the usual favourites but it was the 🥧’s that had my full attention. What caught my eye was the different looking pastry on top of a few of the 🥧’s. It was something I’d never seen before and I was keen to get a closer
look at a few of these bad boys.
I left the 🥧 of choice for this weeks review up to Sally. She bought out a number of options but in the end she wanted me to try one of Jason’s most popular 🥧’s and that was the “Mince, bacon and potato 🥧” The added bacon was something very different and it looked terrific.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $6.50 was decent value for a 🥧 of this size. This 🥧 was slightly bigger in diameter than a usual 🥧 but the depth was slightly smaller. Overall maybe a smidge overpriced but nothing to complain about. 8.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – Look this was a tough one to score as the 🥧 was completely full but the potato ratio did out weigh the meat ratio. I’ve gotta judge what’s in front of me and yes this 🥧 was pretty full. The top did sink a little only because the weight of the potato. Tough one to score. 8.5/10
3. Flavour – Mince, bacon and potato !!! Such a basic combination and yet it tasted fantastic. The mince was tender, the bacon was clearly evident and I particularly loved the crispy potato top, it was mint. Only issue I would have liked a bit more meat and a fraction less potato, but apart from that the flavour itself was excellent. 9.5/10
4. Pastry – Overall the pastry was pretty good. The top bake and puff was excellent as was the stability. Only real negative was the bottom bake/sides were a little thick and needed a few more in the oven. One thing I did love was the pastry barrier on the top around the potato. This was a nice touch and something I’ve never seen before. 7.5/10
5. Serving Temperature – No issues here 10/10
🥧🥧 44/50 🥧🥧
It’s been a long time since I’ve had a 🥧 with potato in it and I really enjoyed this one. The top pastry was like nothing I’ve seen before. It had like a barrier around it then the potato inside that. This was extremely different and in my opinion and yet massively effective. The flavour of this 🥧 was excellent. The mince was tender, the bacon pieces were plentiful and the potato was crispy on top. Me personally would have liked the meat to potato ratio to be a little higher but maybe other 🥧 lovers out there may like more potato in their 🥧’s. Only other real negatives was the base and sides were a little to thick and needed a few extra mins in the oven. The price point wasn’t too bad either at $6.50. Potato 🥧’s are not my first go to when doing a review, but this one totally surprised me. Zero hesitation in recommending this flavoured 🥧 !!! Great job guys !!!
A huge thanks to Sally and Jason for their hospitality. This was a great review and you wouldn’t meet a nicer person that Sally. This bakery has been in the family name for over 30 plus years which is quite remarkable and hopefully will stay in the family for many years to come. The bakery is clean, tidy and very well priced. If you’re passing through or spending time in the area add this little gem to your list it’s a cracker.