Jessies Cardwell Pies
With Mission Beach and Tully done and dusted we continued further south on our way home from the cape. We wanted a few days of downtime and relaxing so we decided to stay at the coasted fishing village of Lucinda.
Prior to arriving at Lucinda we stopped in at Cardwell for a look around. To be honest I was only looking for one thing !!! A bright yellow 🥧 cart that was Jessies Cardwell Pies.
Situated on the southern end of town the cart has been operating for 26 years. Up until cyclone Yasi the cart was near the High School but moved to its current location after that devastating event. Everything that’s sold in the cart is baked right here in Cardwell. Traditional 🥧 carts are few and far between these days and this one has survived through some of the toughest times including cyclones.
Picking a 🥧 to review was a very easy choice. This was a old school 🥧 cart, so I was going old school with a plain mince 🥧.
🥧THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $5.50 was a bargain !!! No more to be said. Those who have had one of these 🥧‘s will tell you this is excellent value. 10/10
2. Meat Ratio – Excellent !!! 90% full. Slightly sunken in the middle and I mean slightly. You’d be pretty happy with the ratio of meat in this 🥧. 9/10
3. Meat Flavour – Look let’s be honest plain 🥧’s don’t have a lot of flavor, so it’s hard to correctly judge this category. In saying that the the mince was cooked beautifully and was plentiful. The only negative was the gravy sauce was a little runny, this was only minor. 9/10
4. Pastry – Color, shape and stability were all a 👍‘s up. The side pasty was a little too thick but only minor. Overall pretty impressive. 8.5/10
5. Serving Temperature – The 🥧 was bloody hot !!!! I had to wait several minutes before digging in. 8/10
🥧🥧 44.5/50 🥧🥧
With over 350 reviews done, dusted and posted, I’m pretty sure this was my first ever “plain mince 🥧” I’d reviewed. This 🥧 was extremely good. The price was on point as was the flavor, but most importantly this old school 🥧 was almost full. There was a couple of small negatives. The 🥧 was bloody 🔥 and the inside of the 🥧 was a smidge runny. Overall this was a pretty awesome plain 🥧. Would I go back and have another one ? YES !!!!
This 🥧 cart is legendary in the NQ area and it would be astonishing to know how many 🥧’s have been smashed here over the years. Not only is this 🥧 cart epic, so is the picturesque position it’s located at. With heaps of parking and seating, this place must be added to all your travel plans.
Cardwell and Lucinda are also well worth the visit. The caravan park at Lucinda was very good as were their facilities. If your into fishing your going to have a great time here.