Jackman & McRoss (Battery Point Hobart)
Our time in Hobart was epic but sadly it had come to a end. We saw and explored everything on offer and gee there was plenty to see. But before we made our way to the Great Lake Hotel. Tasmania I had one last place to visit and that was Hobart’s famous Jackman and McRoss Bakery.
Jackman & McRoss has three locations around Hobart, but I visited the main store at Battery Point. Battery Point and this bakery is located just up the hill from the Salamanca Markets. Open 7 days a week 7am to 5pm you won’t miss this place, it’s located right on the corner and the building itself is beautiful.
Owner Justin wasn’t there the day I visited but I did meet him a few days prior when I lined up my visit. This legend started this little bakery 25 years ago and now it’s a mammoth operation that employs over 60 staff !!!!
In Justin’s absence I was greeted and looked after by pastry chef Rick. What a bloody legend this bloke is, he gave me the full guided tour of this impressive operation. The engine room out the back is huge and to watch the pasty chefs and bakers strut their stuff was very cool. Out the front the cabinet display is impeccable and you can literally see the drool on the glass where the previous punters were eyeballing all the epic goodies.
I was under the pump time wise so I needed to get cracking and choose a 🥧 to review. Before I left the apple isle I desperately wanted to try a rabbit 🥧 and as soon as I saw one on the 🥧 menu my mind was made up. To say I was a tad excited was a huge understatement.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $8.80 (take away) Is certainly up there in price, but this was a gourmet 🥧 of the highest standard. The ingredients speak for themselves and the 🥧 was a really heavy. Depth and diameter were more than acceptable. Absolutely ZERO issues buying another one. Terrific value. 10/10
2. Meat Ratio – Excellent !!! This was totally full and some meat even split out of the 🥧 when it was cut in half. Great job 10/10
3. Flavour – Slow cooked rabbit, ham hock and mushroom and various herbs !!!! I’m going to say this was the BEST flavoured 🥧 I’ve ever had. The rabbit meat was beautiful and the ham hock was the perfect combination. Every bite got better and better. The guys have nailed this one. Love it !! loved it !! loved it !! 10/10
4. Pastry – Puff pastry top and bottom which is different. The color, shape, shrinkage and stability all very good. This 🥧 was heavy and never moved !!! The only negative was the pasty was a bit underdone. This wasn’t a major factor as the pastry tasted awesome, but it has affected the score. Apart from that the pasty would have been perfect. 8.5/10
5. Serving Temperature – Perfect temp once again
🥧🥧 48.5/50 🥧🥧
Apart from the pastry being a tad underdone this would have been the perfect 🥧. As mentioned earlier the flavour in this 🥧 was magnificent and without a doubt the best flavoured 🥧 I’ve ever had. I know that’s a HUGE call but I was totally blown away with every bite. The rabbit meat was cooked to perfection and melted in your mouth. The ham hock was a great addition as was the mushroom. Yes it’s up there in price but it’s a over sized 🥧 and filled to the brim. My first rabbit 🥧 was a huge success and this is a 🥧 I won’t forget for a long time. Absolutely beautiful.
Justin, Rick and team a huge thanks for having me in and giving me the guided tour. This place is truly remarkable and a real Tasmanian icon. From the outside then the inside everything about this place is first class. Whether your getting takeaway or planning a sit down feed, your going to be memorized by the quality of food that’s on offer.
Everything sold here is off the charts and made by some of the best pastry chefs in the country. This bakery is a total experience and a place that you cannot miss when your in the capital city.
Our stay at the Great Lake Pub was stunning. The campsite, meals and views of the lake were all stunning. A few days after we left it started snowing so we raced back up to check that out. To see the place covered in white snow was a experience we won’t forget.