Humpty Doo Bakery
Like all good things sadly they must call come to a end and our stint in Darwin was superb. Our next camping destination on the list wasn’t that far away and we were heading out to Gunn Point. Gunn Point is located less than a hour away from Darwin and offers stunning beach camping (free) Sadly at Gunn Point there’s not a 🥧 shop in sight, but that didn’t stop me from hopping in the car and go on a 🥧 hunt.
My 🥧 hunt took led me to the little town of Humpty Doo and eventually the Humpty Doo Bakery. The bakery is located in a little shopping complex and is the first building you see as you walk in. Owner Elliott has had this place for just over 4 years and been baking for a tick over 20 years.
Employing 10 staff and open 6 days a week this bakery may be small but has a excellent variety on offer right across the board. From pies, cakes, bread and sweats this joint has everything. The day of my visit the line up was 4 deep and showed no signs on slowing down. The thought of missing out on my favourite 🥧 had me concerned, so with that in mind I went straight over to the warmer and started perusing the 🥧 menu.
The variety of 🥧’s on offer here is very generous. All the usual suspects are on offer, but that day I felt like one of my favourite flavours. I’m very partial to a good old chunky steak 🥧 a few punters out the front of the bakery told me I couldn’t go wrong with this selection.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $6 was great value !!! The diameter and depth was more than acceptable and the pie felt very heavy. For six bucks you’d be very happy with a 🥧 of this size 9.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – Totally full !!! The boys have jammed packed this one 10/10
3. Flavour – Not bad at all !!! The meat chunks were very tender and the rich dark gravy sauce was beautiful. Only the negative side there was to much gravy and not enough meat chunks, but apart from that this was a nice flavoured 🥧7.5/10
4. Pastry – The pastry of this 🥧 was a real hit and miss. The colour and shape were great. The shrinkage was ok, whike the top and bottom bakes were also acceptable. The issue was after about 2 bites the lid came off and eating this 🥧 became a very tricky situation. You had to be strategic with every bite in fear of the 🥧 potentially falling apart. 6.5/10
5. Serving Temperature – This 🥧 was hot !!! Nothing major but I had to wait a little for this bad boy to cool before having a crack 8.5/10
🥧🥧 42/50 🥧🥧
Score may be a little down, but overall this was a nice 🥧. The $6 price tag was spot on and the 🥧 was completely full. The flavour was really nice and I loved the rich dark gravy. The negatives were the meat/gravy ratio and the top lid coming off which affected the stability. These issues can easily be tweaked and fixed. Overall I really enjoyed this 🥧 and would easily have another one in a heartbeat.
A huge thanks to Elliott for his time and hospitality. This joint gets incredibly busy and Elliott is a busy man and for him to take time out and share is 🥧 journey with me is greatly appreciated. This bakery is a little ripper and if you’re heading off to explore Kakadu this place is an absolute must stop. This complex has a woolies, BWS, butcher shop and much more, so if you needing to restock this place has you covered. There is also heaps of room across the road to park caravans and large motorhomes etc.