Hebby’s Bakery and Cafe
After our quick visit to Bangalow, we jumped back in the car and smashed our way down to Gloucester. We had booking with Drifta and had to wait around all day until the car was ready, so with that in mind I went looking for a bakery in town. I didn’t have to look far because right in the middle of town is
Hebby’s Bakery and Cafe.
The bakery was established way back in 1935 and has been in the same family name since it’s opening. Col the owner is a third generation baker and was introduced to the baking game in his early teens. Sadly his father passed away when he was just 16 and he and his brother Victor took over the bakery and are still here many years later.
The bakery is open 6 days a week and employs over 15 staff. Col gave me a tour of the place and it’s absolutely massive. The baking prep area is upstairs and ovens down stairs. What was pretty cool was the lift/pulley system that was used to get the ’s down to the ovens. This was a geniius idea built way back in the 60’s/70’s and still in use today.
Hebby’s have a terrific selection of ’s on offer, so once again making a decision was going to be a little tough. After chatting with Col he mentioned that his “Pepper Steak” was extremely popular. Pepper Streak is my favorite go to and I was super keen to give this one a go.
1. Value for Money – $4.80 !!! Yep you heard me, this bad boy was only $4.80. It wasn’t the biggest of ’s but more than acceptable and easily up to industry standard. Exceptional value and dirt cheap. 10/10
2. Meat Ratio – Full Full Full !!! Nothing more could have been squeezed into this . 10/10
3. Flavour – Really nice !!! The meat was cooked beautifuly and tasted terrific. The pepper mix was the perfect blend. While it wasn’t strong and overpowering, there was certainly more then enough in pepper corns in this . Overall the flavour in this was excellent and thoughly enjoyed. 8.5/10
4. Pastry – Color, shrinkage, stability and shape all really good. The pastry had a terrific taste to it and was golden in color and super flakey. Top bake was cooked right though and was the perfect thickness. The only negative I could see was the bottom bake was slightly underdone. Overall the pastry in this was superb. 8.5/10
5. Serving Temperature – Perfect !!! 10/10
This was a ripping !!! I was totally blown away by the price tag of $4.80 plus the was totally full. The flavour was also superb and the pepper blend was absolutely perfect. Only real negative was the bottom bake being slightly underdone, this was nothing major. In the end this was a quality and I’m still stunned at how cheap all Hebby’s ’s are. Cannot recommend this “Pepper Steak” enough. Great job guys.
Add this bakery to your own travel plans as it’s a little cracker. From the ’s to the sandwiches everything here is made on premises and his super fresh. The plain ’s are only $4.20 which is ridiculous, so the value for money at this bakery is fantastic.
A massive thanks to Col and his amazing staff for taking the time to show me around. Col is a dead set legend and one of the nicest blokes you would ever meet. This was up there with one of the best visits I’ve done. The family history behind this bakery is incredible and i could have easily spent the whole day listening the Col. I’m so lucky and privileged to be able to travel this country and meet such incredible people like Col. All the best for the future.