Gunsynd Bakery and Cafe
With day one done and dusted, the following morning I caught up with a old school mate. Let’s be honest there’s no better place to catch than a bakery. Darren decided to take be to his local bakery the Gunsynd Bakery Bakery & Cafe.
The bakery is located in Marshall Street and open 7 days a week hours depending. The current owners were not available when I rocked up which was a shame, but I was on a time deadline as we had a huge day of driving ahead so I needed to get cracking.
With over 15 varieties available, choosing only one 🥧 was going a be a difficult decision. I wanted something a little different for this review and something different caught my eye. It was the cheese n bacon on top of their potato cottage 🥧. It looked super inviting and I was keen to give it a crack.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $6.20 was very good value for this 🥧. It was a decent overall size. While the proportion of potato far out weighted the meat, it still was a good sized 🥧 for the $6.20 price tag. 9.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – As previously mentioned there was more potato in this 🥧 then meat. Me personally would have liked more meat fill in this 🥧, but if your a potato lover your going to enjoy the is ratio of this 🥧. 7/10
3. Meat Flavour – Couldn’t fault it !!! The flavor was really good. The meat was cooked great and the bacon and cheese topper was a master stroke. This 🥧 tasted terrific, great job. 8.5/10
4. Pastry – Bottom bake was slightly underdone and a little soft, but in saying that it’s stability was perfect for a heavy 🥧 and didn’t move a muscle. Overall not too bad. 7/10
5. Serving Temperature – The temp was excellent no waiting at all. 10/10
🥧🥧 42/50 🥧🥧
The score may not reflect it, but I really enjoyed this 🥧. The flavor was the best my far, I particularly enjoyed the bacon and cheese topper. For a heavy 🥧 the stability surprised me and was perfect. The bottom bake and more meat less potato ratio were the only negative points and again these were only minor. I would have no hesitation returning to Gundy and having another one of these 🥧‘s.
This bakery is a real surprise packet, the selection of goodies here is off the charts. The cabinet display is first class and the bread was excellent. I had my eye on this lamination and cream loaf !!! OMG it looked insane. If your heading south or north and through Goondiwindi this bakery is one you need to add to your list.
A huge thanks to the team at Gunsynd Bakery and Cafe for having me in. Plus a huge thanks to Daren Cover for doing to intro and organizing the review. It’s been a long long time since I saw Darren and it was awesome to catch up and chat old times and heaps of dribble.
Goondiwindi is a great little town and well worth exploring. The local Showgrounds was a terrific overnight stop with full facilities available if you need. It’s a great place for a overnight stop (check it out on wiki)