2023 🥧 Tour
Review no 55
Griffith Butchery & Bakery
After visiting Baden and the team at the Bakehouse. I was still on the search for another 🥧 joint to visit before I flew out. I got a tip on a little butcher/bakery in the Canberra suberb of Griffith. So with that in mind I headed straight over to the Griffith Butchery and Bakery to check this place out for myself.
The Griffith Butchery and Bakery is located at 10 Barker St Griffith. Owner Richard runs the place with his two sons Mike and Tim. Richard has been slicing and dicing meat since 1976 and has been at the current location since 1989.
This is a butcher shop with a very big twist, this place doubles up as a bakery and the lads make 🥧’s in this epic little joint from scratch. Richard added the bakery section to the shop back in 2000 and 🥧 maker Pat has been there for over 10 years applying his trade. This is the first butcher shop I’ve visited where absolutely everything from the pasty to the filling is made on site.
For a small bakery these lads pump out some serious numbers and the family 🥧’s are massive and weigh a tonne. The cabinet display with the meat and 🥧’s is super impressive and that was the first thing that blew me away upon entering the building.
After getting the tour on this old school butcher shop it was time to catch up with 🥧 man Pat and choose one of his glorious 🥧’s to review. The range on offer here is really impressive but there was one i wanted to try and that was the “Lamb Curry” It’s been ages since I reviewed that particular flavour and i was chomping at the bit to get started.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $7.90 represented pretty good value. One lamb isn’t cheap and you need to take that into account and secondly the 🥧 was a fairly decent size. This oval shaped 🥧 was also generous in the depth department which was a bonus. Overall $7.90 is creeping up there in price but still very affordable and great value. 8.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – Very good !!! I’d say 99% full and almost bursting at the seams. Terrific value with the fill on this 🥧. 10/10
3. Flavour – Favourite part hands down !!! This was a combination of diced and fine Bellevue lamb from Cootamundra. The lamb tasted spectacular and was cooked to perfectation. The curry was a mild savoury flavor, but still had enough kick to let you know it was around. Then add a bit of coriander and salt and pepper. I loved every bite of this 🥧. Great job lads. 10/10
4. Pastry – Color, shape and stability were all excellent and the shrinkage was almost perfect apart from one end of the 🥧. The pastry had a incredible taste to it and was extremely crispy and flakey on top. As far as the bakes and thickness go, the bottom bake and thickness was perfect. The top pasty on the other hand was to thick, however it was almost baked through which was good. Overall very good apart from the bottom thickness. 8/10
5. Serving Temperature – A smidge hot but nothing to be concerned about. 9/10
🥧🥧 45.5/50 🥧🥧
Great job 🥧man Pat !!!! You’ve done a great job with this one. The scores across the board were very consistent and only a few small minor blemishes to work on. The stand out for sure was the flavour, every bite was sensational. The lamb was cooked to perfectation and the curry mix was the perfect blend. As far as lamb curry 🥧’s go this one was right up there. I would have no hesatitions having another one of these flavoured 🥧’s again.
This place is a absolute cracker. The 🥩 and the 🥧’s are all first class. I also tried the sausages, steak and the HUGE family 🥧 all tasted terrific. This is one place you don’t want to miss while your floating around the nationals capital.
As always a huge thanks to the entire team for there incredible hospitality. This was a awesome review and the lads were terrific fun. I’m so privledged to be able to travel 🇦🇺 and get to eat 🥧’s and meet some amazing people and this visit was no different. All the best guys and I’m sure i will be back to see you legends again.
From Canberra to the Gold Coast, next week I will start a little run of Goldy and northern NSW reviews. We have about 4 in total so keep a eye out for these.
Don’t forget the new website is up and running and one of the big features is the 🥧 map !!! Every review is available at the click of a button. Just jump on www.pyneyspiereviews.com and visit the site.
As always thanks for the ongoing support and please invite all your friends and fellow🥧 lovers to the page.