Our time at Daly River was awesome, but sadly we needed to hit the road and make the short 2 hour trip back up to Darwin. We decided to ditch the van and fly over the Bali for a week. Darwin to Bali was just over 2 hours flying time and to leave the van at the caravan park was only $10 a night which was a absolute bargain. Apart from chilling by the pool and sinking bintangs I was keen to check out this awesome joint in Bali and that was called Gimme Pies
Gimme Pies is a Balienese family owned business that was established back in 2009. Kakek is the owner/director but has help from her Kiwi husband and chef Matt. Over the last 14 plus years they have worked incredibly hard and built this business into a successful empire. Open to the public, plus wholesale these ’s can we found all over Bali.
Gimme Pies is based in Denpasar and the place makes a traditional New Zealand style meat , based on a family recipe that has been passed down from generations. Some of the fillings are very traditional, but others represent the Balienese culture and cuisine of the family. There ‘s also use classic Balienese recipes that have been passed down for literally hundreds of years.
As soon as I arrived I could smell the ’s in the warmer and the meat being cooked out in the kitchen. The selection of ’s on offer here is extremely generous. The usual suspects are on the list, but one particular flavour grabbed my attention straight away. That was a chicken called “Ayam Betutu” This was Kakek’s mum’s family recipe adapted into a . The smell wafting from this was insane and I couldn’t wait to tuck in
1. Value for Money – Priced at 45k which is (around $4.50 ) this represented very good value. The itself was a decent size in both diameter and depth. Overall to find any under 5 bucks is a dead set bargain 10/10
2. Meat Ratio – Very good !!! This bad boy was almost full. The had sagged a little in the middle, but apart from that you would be very happy with the fill in this 9.5/10
3. Flavour – The flavour was stunning !!! A whole shredded chicken, Bali spices including – chilli, garlic, turmeric, shallots, candle nut, salt and pepper. Every bite was beautiful and you could clearly taste every ingredient. The flavor had a little bit of kick to it, nothing major but it certainly added to the overall flavor. Loved it 9.5/10
4. Pastry – A combination of short crust on the bottom and a rough puff on the top. The pasty flavour was beautiful and had a real buttery taste to it. The top and bottom pastry were baked perfectly. Only negative was the stability was a little shakey, but the still held firm right to the last bite. Overall very good 8/10
5. Serving Temperature – Perfect !!! 10/10
To be honest I was extremely surprised by the quality of this !!! It was pretty awesome. The price was cheap and the flavour in particular was beautiful. This was a traditional Balinese dish rolled into a , Matt and Kakek have dead set nailed this one. I did try several other flavors plus a sausage roll and all were very good and highly recommended. Great job guys !!! Loved the place.
To Matt, Kakek and family a massive thanks for having me in. This was a cracking review and I loved spending time with you guys and sharing your journey. What you have achieved since 2009 is incredible and the products you produce are legendary. I wish you guys all the best.
Our week in Bali was EPIC. Although we didn’t do much it was great just to chill out by the pool, sinks a few tins and search for some cracking little local restaurants. As soon as we get back to Darwin we will start punching back to the Sunshine Coast and start planning the next tour.