Hi 🥧 lovers I hope everyone’s had a awesome week filled with family, fun and more importantly fabulous 🥧’s !!!!! This weeks review was only a short drive from home. The 20km short trip lead me to the epic little town of Cooroy. Now this place is a bustling joint and right in the heart of town you will find the German Bakehouse Cafe – Cooroy
When I received a call from bakery manager Jacinta Ward last month inviting me to come out and visit, I jumped at the opportunity. Jacinta promised glorious 🥧’s and man this place didn’t disappoint.
When you talk German food the last item on that list would be meat 🥧’s !!!! But at this place, 🥧’s are the main attraction and the German Bakehouse staff make them by the truck load.
When I arrived I was quickly introduced to owner Sven. Now this dude has a serious resume !!!!
– 3rd generation baker
– worked in Germany, Japan, Canada & USA
– Speaks fluent German, Japanese & English
– Is a dead set workaholic !!!!
– Most importantly makes bloody good 🥧’s and is a champion fella !!!!
This bakery has 2 locations, Cooroy and Coolum and employs 33 staff !!!! Of which 9 are bakers. When COVID was at its peak in April owner Sven kept all 33 staff on and did this without the help of Job Keeper !!!! What a absolute champion !!!!!
The Bakehouse in Cooroy has been open for 4 years and is open 7 days a week. This place is one busy joint, people were consistently piling through the door grabbing 🥧’s, coffee, and Svens famous Kransky sausage rolls !!!!
Once again I left the 🥧 of choice up to Sven and was I left totally bewildered when he mentioned that he never eats 🥧’s !!! Seriously this bloke is missing out. Anyway the 🥧 choice was his Chunky Steak, real bacon & cheese 🥧.
🥧🥧🥧🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧🥧🥧🥧
1. Value for Money – At $5.50 I thought this 🥧 was great value. Although it wasn’t a deep 🥧 it was more rounder than most 🥧’s !!! More rounder !!! WTF !!! Is that even a word ? Anyway you know what i mean. As always any 🥧 under 6 bucks is great value in my opinion. 9/10
2. Meat Ratio – As mentioned above this wasn’t a deep 🥧 but it was filled almost to the top. The meat portions were very good and chucks of tender meat were huge. 8/10
3. Meat Flavour – so good, the chunks of meat were super tender, the bacon had a smokey flavour that was divine and the cheese was melted perfectly. 8.5/10
4. Pastry – Easily the best part for me. When I first picked up the 🥧 I thought it would fall apart like the Brisbane Broncos season !!! But this couldn’t be further from the truth. The bottom was so so soft but held together until the last bite. The top was crusty, flakey and the bits of bacon on top were superb. Sven told me he’s not a fan of the crusty bottom !!!! Wow !!! crusty bottom !!! What am I saying here ? Anyway Sven and his bakers have nailed this soft pastry. 9.5/10
5. Temperature – Spot on !!!! Perfect !!! 10/10
🥧🥧 Overall Rating 45/50 🥧🥧
I really enjoyed this 🥧. I was surprised by the actual size of this 🥧 but the pastry for we was the real winner. It’s arguably the softest base (that’s the word I was looking for earlier) I’ve ever had and I loved it. It amazes me that after all the 🥧’s I’ve had I’m still tasting different bases and every baker has their own unique style.
The German Bakehouse is 100% worth visiting. Everything about this place is top notch. There is heaps of room to sit down or if you’re in a rush plenty of parking to zip in and grab what you need.
I was a little intimidated when I first met Sven. He’s a big man !!! But he has a massive heart. He adores his staff and his genuine love for them was shown when he kept all 33 of them employed during difficult times. A huge thanks to Sven and Jacinta for their time on Wednesday. Sven works 24/7 and for him to spend time with me and share his story is massively appreciated.
Sven and his beautiful family deserve every success that comes his way. I sound like a broken record each week but again another story of hard work and perseverance.