After a great night free camping at the little town of Ardlethan and checking out the local pub, we decided to take a slight detour and headed to the town of Ganmain. It was pretty exciting, I was finally catching up with Ben and Anna from the Ganmain Bakery. We have spoken many times over the phone but never actually met.
Ganmain is a tiny town situated approximately 55km north west of Wagga Wagga. Ben has owned the place for 7 years but also worked in the bakery for 7 years before taking over. He’s been in the industry for over 30 years and his knowledge and experience is exceptional.
This bakery supplies 🥧’s all over the joint, plus does hundreds of 🥧 drives at schools, and numerous sporting clubs in Wagga Wagga and surrounding areas. This is a huge operation on a very large scale. When he’s not baking 🥧‘s, you will find Ben in the truck dropping of small and family 🥧‘s to every man and his dog.
When I arrived it was a busy Saturday morning and Ben had a huge day ahead of him getting 🥧‘s to local footy matches. I didn’t want to hold him up chatting dribble with me so we decided to get cracking.
Easy choice for this weeks review. I wanted to try one of Ben’s plain meat 🥧’s. Countless punters had messaged me over the past couple of years and told me this was the 🥧 I needed to try. So the punters had spoken and this was the one I was going to review.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $5 for this 🥧 is CHEAP !!! It was a standard size square 🥧 in diameter and depth. I haven’t come across many 🥧’s at this price lately and it’s great to see. Crazy value !!! 10/10
2. Meat Ratio – Yes, this 🥧 wasn’t the biggest or deepest, but it was totally full. You would be extremely happy with the ratio in this one. 10/10
3. Meat Flavour – Plain meat 🥧’s can struggle for flavor from time to time, but this one had a excellent taste to it. The mince was tender and cooked to perfection. 9/10
4. Pastry – Puff pastry top and bottom which was terrific. The flavor in this pasty was really good. Stability, shape and color was great, but the bottom bake was slightly under done. This was the only negative aspect of this pastry. Apart from that minor issue it was a job well done. 9/10
5. Serving Temperature – This was a little hot and needed a few minutes to cool down. 8.5/10
🥧🥧 46.5/50 🥧🥧
This was an OLD fashioned meat 🥧 and I really enjoyed it. Nothing fancy, flash or extravagant just a plain 🥧 and it certainly did the job. The pastry was puff top and bottom and held together beautifully and the price tag of $5 was superb. Ben sells a truck load of these bad boys. If your within a 300km radius of Ganmain and your smashing a 🥧 at the footy, cricket or netball there’s a massive chance your getting stuck into Ganmain 🥧. This little bakery and the town of less than 400 people is well worth the stop in. I’m positive the town folk would be extremely appreciative of your support.
A huge thanks to Ben, Anna and the entire Ganmain Bakery team for having me in. Footy finals is a very busy time for Ben and yet he and his the team were super accommodating. I’ve said this many times before bakeries are the heartbeat of every country town and this is so clearly evident in Ganmain. Ben and Anna are extremely community focused and are the first ones to put there hands up for anyone in need. They have been massive supporters of the past two “Pyney’s Pie Days” and I’m so great full for that. You guys run a bloody awesome ship and I cannot wait to catch up with you both again.