Dunmarra Wayside Inn
On our way up to Darwin, I had the privilege to sample and smash some terrific ’s. There was one place I had on my list, but for some unknown reason we didn’t stop there on our way to the Top End and drove straight past it. So when we started to make our way home there was no way I was going to miss the trying the ’s at the Dunmarra Wayside Inn.
Unfortunately i couldn’t line up a official review, but I can confirm all the ’s sold in the roadhouse are all home made. The legend who makes these ’s has been around forever and so has the secret recipes he uses. This place was so busy and the majority of punters were after two items and two items only, ’s and their famous vanilla slice.
This weeks choice of was bloody easy. Beef, Beef and more Beef. That was the only flavor available !!! So beef it was.
1. Value for Money – Look $8 is right up there in price. It was bigger than normal and was heavy as a gold brick. Once again you need to consider the location. Overall not bad but a tad pricey 7.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – Excellent !!! This was just about full. Photos will indicate the meat chunks were HUGE. Terrific value on this front. 9.5/10
3. Meat Flavour – The meat was soft and melted on your mouth and cooked perfectly. But for me the flavor lacked SOMETHING and I’m not sure what that something is. I’m not saying the lacked flavor, but the gravy sauce was a little bland and needed a little zing to give this more flavor. 7/10
4. Pastry – The baker/chef did a great job with this pastry. This was very heavy and the stability was almost perfect. The top and base were cooked great and had nice flavor. 9/10
5. Temperature – Perfect temp !!! 10/10
Overall Rating 43/50
The score may be a little low but I really enjoyed this . Personally the flavor lacked something but I can confirm the slow cooked beef was perfect. The pastry was top notch and did a great job, holding the incredible weight in this .
Before I finish this review, I need to chat “Vanilla Slices” OMG !!! OMG !!! Right up there with the best. These things were bloody beautiful and bloody HUGE.
Dunmarra Wayside Inn is a great little stop over to re-fuel and stock up. If you’ve had a gut full of driving, you can pull the van in and camp the night with minimal cost. Like most county road houses this one is licensed so you can grab a quality feed and enjoy a few quiet ’s.
I need to give a huge shout out to the staff at the Daly Waters Hi-Way Inn. We stayed there the night before. Cost was $28 for powered site, this also included 2 free schooners at the pub. The facilities were great as was the food at the pub. Highly recommended stop over.
Sadly our NT tour is nearly over only one more night in the territory and that will be at the Barkly Homestead.
The Northern Territory was simply stunning. From Uluru to Darwin everything about this state is breath taking. We will be back for sure and next time will be staying much longer.