Tumby Bay was a awesome spot to camp up for a few days, but sadly it was time to head further north up the Eyre. Our next stop was the Port Gibbin/Cowell area and the plan was to stay at least 7 to 10 days and explore everything this gorgeous place has to offer.
One of the little towns we wanted to check out was Cleve. Cleve is located 529 km west of Adelaide via Port Augusta and the Princes and Eyre Highways. It is 223 km south-west of Port Augusta. Cleve has maintained its position as a leading producer of both grain and wool since the establishment of the town back in the 1850’s.
One of the major draw cards to this little town is the one of a kind horse sculpture was created by Cleve local, Peter Crosby. Bonnie, the Clydesdale horse is a impressively intricate, metal sculpture and is a must see. Another must see while your in Cleve is Cleve Bakery located right in the main drag.
The bakery has been around for many years but current owner Nigel has been here for a tick over 5 years. The bakery is open Monday to Friday 7am to 4pm and stocks all the usual favorites. Sadly Nigel wasn’t around on the day of my visit but the girls behind the counter were more than happy to show me around. Sadly we were pressed for time on the day of my visit so this review was a bit of a bit and run mission.
My 🥧 of choice for this weeks review was a real easy decision. As soon as I saw the word stroganoff on the 🥧 menu I was sold. This wasn’t any old beef stroganoff 🥧. The recipe has been in the family for many many years and is some what legendary. I’m
a massive fan of the old beef stroganoff and this one looked and smelt terrific.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $6 was excellent value. This was a really big and heavy 🥧. The depth and diameter was really impressive. I’m my opinion this 🥧 was priced way too cheap. 10/10
2. Meat Ratio – Choc a Block !!! No room left !!! 10/10
3. Flavour – Slow cooked beef, cream, garlic, mushrooms, onion, Worcestershire and tomato sauce. The meat was cooked to perfection and all the combined ingredients blended in perfectly. This was up there with the best stroganoff flavoured 🥧‘s I’ve had. 9.5/10
4. Pastry – Apart from the top bake being a little thick and underdone this pastry was really good. Color, shape, shrinkage and stability were all perfect. The top had a nice golden flake and tasted beautiful. Good job guys. 8.5/10
5. Serving Temperature – No issues here 10/10
🥧🥧 48/50 🥧🥧
This was a quality product !!! From the price to the flavour and even the pastry it was all first class. The flavour was also very good and and meat was tender and tasted terrific. The top bake was a little thick and just under the lid was a little underdone but certainly nothing to worry about. Overall this was a really enjoyable 🥧, great job guys.
This bakery is a little ripper and the community of Cleve are so lucky to have a quality bakery like this is in their town. Sadly I didn’t get to meet Nigel but the girls looked after me and were a absolutely amazing. 100% add this terrific little town and this bakery to your travel plans you won’t be disappointed.
Our time at Cleve, Port Gibbon, Arno Bay and Cowell was unbelievable. We had almost 10 days in this area and it was action packed. We stayed at Cleve Showgrounds, Port Gibbon Sand Dunes (no 3) and Port Gibbon Camp 1. All these campsites are highly recommended. The Cleve one in particular was very impressive. Also a huge thanks to the legend himself Fuzz for taking the bride out on his epic fishing charters Fuzzell’s Fishing Adventures