The 🥧 tour rolled into Coober Pedy a few weeks ago with no expectations or a review lined up. The day we arrived we needed supplies and I made a bee line for the local butcher shop. After a few minutes of idle chit chat the usual subject of 🥧’s came up. As it turned out old mate at the butcher shop was related to the owners of the bakery and NEC minute I had a review lined up at CK Confectionaire (cafe and Bakery)
Owners Casey and Keysey opened this place up in around Jan 2019 but have been working around the area for a few years in many different roles mainly cooking all things food. When the opportunity came up to reopen the bakery they jump head first into the deep end.
Situated just off the main roundabout in town this bakery is open Monday to Friday from 7am – 5.30pm and 8.30am – 3pm Saturdays. The menu is plentiful and would more then fulfill any hungry traveler.
Speaking of hungry , I had my little mate Nate on tour with me so he was super keen to rip in and get things rolling, plus he was getting a little HANGRY !!!! And that’s very scary trust me.
This weeks 🥧 was chosen by one of travelers we met at the caravan park in town a day earlier. Paul our camp neighbor happens to be another Noosa resident (bloody small world) Anyway he suggested I have the Steak and Mushroom. He had one the day before and said it was OUTSTANDING !!! So this was a really easy choice.
🥧🥧🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧🥧🥧
1. Value for Money – $6.50 is getting up there for a 🥧 of this size, but I needed to remind myself where I was (bloody middle of knowwhere ) It was a fairly decent size and the ingredients that filled this baby was first class. 8.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – As the photos indicate this 🥧 was pretty full. Probably could have been room for a bit more under the lid, but overall pretty good. 8.5/10
3. Meat Flavor – This was AWESOME !!!! The meat was tender, the mushrooms were delicious and there was some special Filio sauce in this thing that was out of this world. I’m not sure what it was but gee it was good. Incredible flavor 10/10
4. Pastry – Very good !!!! Once again being in a foil tray I was expecting it to fall apart, but the stability was excellent. The pastry also had great flavor. The top was a terrific golden color and incredibly flakey 9.5/10
5. Temperature – A smidge to hot but only a smidge . 9.5/10
🥧🥧 Overall Rating 46/50🥧🥧
Absolutely loved it !!! Everything about this 🥧 was first class. The standout by a country mile was the flavor. It had this special Filio sauce, which is legendary but a top secret. I will never know what sort of sauce was in my 🥧, but MAN it was GOOD !!!! The pastry was also very good. Although it was cooked in a tray, the base was very firm and the top pastry was perfect.
Coober Pedy was the last place I expected to get a 🥧 of this quality. After having a couple of shockers along the trip, it was refreshing to smash into a ripper like this one. This little bakery is a beauty. Apart from the normal bakery food you can order various breakfast options and at lunch time maybe tuck into some Filipino Staples !!!!
This Bakery/Cafe is a must stop for any passing traveler. Just bare in mind over the summer Coober Pedy can be BLOODY HOT 🔥🔥🔥 So the team close from around mid Dec to early Feb.
Cherry and Keysey thanks for your hospitality and allowing me to share you story. This bakery re-opened roughly 6 months before COVID last year and despite the set backs this duo with the help of some other family members have got this place cranking.
Like Lightning Ridge in NSW, Coober Pedy is a place everyone should visit once in their lives. It’s different, weird, quirky and very very unique. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but we loved it. From the mine tours to the breathtaking views at the “Breakaways” this place didn’t disappoint. It’s got countless places to visit and interesting things to see. You might need two or three days to squeeze everything in.