The 🥧 crawl of Christies Beach was in full swing with the next bakery only a short stroll from my last visit The Espy Bakehouse. As mentioned in the last review this area is choc a block full of bakeries and next on the list was
CJ’s Bakery is located at 39C Beach Rd Christie Beach and has been around for many years. Current owners Andrew and Kerrie have had this place for a tick over 13 years. During this time they have built this bakery into an award winning 🥧 haven that now employs over 16 staff including 3 young apprentices.
The front area may be tiny but don’t let that worry you the variety of food on offer here is endless and made fresh on premises. Once again it was the doughnuts that got my attention. Seriously every bakery is SA is teasing me with the most tantalizing doughnuts I’ve ever seen.
Out the back is where the real action is. The work space is a decent size and what i enjoyed was watching the young apprentices strut there stuff. It’s so refreshing to see these young bakers at work and see the end products they create. After chatting to the team for a while, it was time to smash a few 🥧’s !!!
Andrew and the team put forward a number of different options for this weeks review. The variety on offer here was more than generous. After changing my minds several times I finally decided on the “Chunky Beef, Mushroom and Red Wine” I’m a bit of a sucker with any 🥧 with red wine in it, so I was looking forward to getting stuck into this one.
🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧
1. Value for Money – $6.20 represented excellent value. This was a very generous sized 🥧. Depth and diameter were more than acceptable. 9.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – Totally full !!! This 🥧 was mixed with huge chunks of meat, mushrooms and gravy . Good job. 10/10
3. Flavour – The meat chunks were super tender, the mushrooms were huge and the red wine mix was perfect. The best part was the red wine was clearly evident and I loved that. Also the mushrooms were a decent size too. Quaility stuff !!! Great job team. 9.5/10
4. Pastry – A little bit of a mix bag here. The color, shape and shrinkage were all great. This was a heavy 🥧 and on the positive side it didn’t move one bit. The top of the 🥧, had a golden flakey taste but just under the lid was underbaked. The top bake was a little thick as well but some 🥧 lovers might pefer that. The bottom bake was a little pale in color but still cooked right through. Overall no major concerns here. 8/10
5. Serving Temperature – Seeving temp could have been a little hotter but nothing the be concerned about. Overall pretty good. 9/10
🥧🥧 46/50 🥧🥧
This was a really nice 🥧. A few minor tweaks needed here and there but overall a great product. The price point was excellent and at $6.20 this represented great value. The 🥧 was totally full and the meat chunks were huge and flavour in the 🥧 was superb. The red wine was clearly evident throughout and I loved it. I have zero hesitations recommending this flavoured 🥧 and this bakery. While only small this bakery packs a serious punch and everything you could ever ask for is here and here in spades.
Andrew, Kerrie and the entire team a massive thanks for having me in. This was another cracking review and the product you dished up was absolute quality. It’s no coincidence you guys have won countless awards. This bakery is build on hard yacker, team work and these are great traits. Also it’s great to see another bakery bringing apprentices through the system. Apprentices are the future of the baking industry and it’s great to see another bakery investing time and effort into these young bakers.