Carol’s on Wheels
Tassie Tour 2022 Review no 12 Carols on Wheels (Zeehan Tas )
After leaving Cradle Mountain we continued to head south west driving through some of the most picturesque scenery I’ve ever seen. While the outside view was stunning, you had to be on the ball driving as the roads were up there with the trickiest I’ve driven on. The brakes were getting a fair work out that’s for sure. Next destination was Strahan via Rosebery and Zeehan.
As we pulled into Zeehan a courier van pulled along side. The driver Lara , saw the stickers on the car and came over to give me a tip on a food van in town. She mentioned the place sells the best homemade breakfast going around and I should check it out. The number one thing I’ve learned while traveling is take advise from locals.
The van is owned by a lady named Carol and it’s operated outside the West Coast Heritage Centre. In the main drag of Zeehan. The van serves a variety of food including Carols delicious home made breakfast ‘s and other treats.
Some hard core enthusiasts may technically label this a quiche, but in this instance, i’m going to go with a bacon and egg and man it smelt terrific.
1. Value for Money – $6 was excellent value for this . It was a great size, both in width and diameter. Yes the ingredients in this were simple and less expensive than various meat ’s out there, but overall I would have no hesitation buying another one at this price. 8.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – Full !!! Great job. 10/10
3. Flavor – Yes, it’s a basic bacon and egg pie, but the flavor was really nice and enjoyable. The bacon pieces were plentiful and tasty. Only negative the was a tad dry and needed a little sauce maybe relish or something to give it a little extra zing. 6.5/10
4. Pastry – loved it !!! The color in particular was terrific and the top pasty was crunchy and topped with flavor. The stability, shape were also excellent. Great job. 9.5/10
5. Serving Temperature – Carol nailed this !!! Straight out of the warmer and into my mouth. 10/10
Carol has done a ripping job with this one. The pastry was the standout, everything about it was first class. The price point was spot on, 6 bucks was more than reasonable. It’s not often I review a straight bacon and egg and I’m glad I gave this one a go.
If you make the trip to Zeehan you’ve gotta stop at this food van and try one of these delicious ‘s, but get in early as they sell out very fast. This little food van is steroids on wheels. The options are endless and the coffee was terrific. There is also seating options a available while you wait, or you can take a little walk around and check out the old steam trains.
A huge thanks to Zoe for the tip. If she hadn’t come over and said Gday, we wouldn’t have known about this food van or tasted Carols superb homemade . I cannot thank you guys enough for the messages and recommendations.
Our stay at Strahan was great, like Stanley it might have been early in the season but the town itself was very quiet. A lot of the shops were closed at the time of our visit or not open at all.
We did spend a day cruising the “Gordon River” this is one of Strahan’s major tourist attractions. Sarah island was terrific as well. The history at this place was incredible. The short walk into “Hogarth Falls” is worth the look. The waterfall was pumping the afternoon we visited.