BP Mataranka Roadhouse
If I had a dollar for every time someone mentioned Mataranka 🥧’s, geez I’d be a wealthy man. So with this in mind, when we were planning the 🥧 tour, Mataranka was up the top of our planned itinerary.
Matranka is a small town about 100km south of Katherine in the NT. After spending the night on the sauce 🍺🍺 at the Daly Waters pub it was time to head north and see and smash these famous 🥧’s.
If you get into town and start looking for the bakery you will be looking for a quite a while, see the famous Matranka 🥧’s are sold out of the BP Mataranka Roadhouse & Cabins NT. Yep that’s right SERVO 🥧’s, but with a twist.
Wendy and her family have operated this place since 1987 and boy there’s been some changes since then. The biggest addition is the bakery inside this servo. About four or five years ago some 🥧 craving traveler walked in and asked Wendy where the bakery was in town.
Shortly after old mate asked arguably best question ever, Wendy the genius business woman she is, started the wheels in motion. Not long after that Mataranka had it’s very own bakery and the passing travelers and locals couldn’t be happier. After getting the tour of the shop it was time to get started.
This weeks choice of 🥧 came down to a two horse race. Mushroom 🥧or Chilli 🥧. In the end it was like choosing your favorite child, so I thought bugger it, I will smash them both. The mushroom one was fantastic, but I’m basing this weeks review on the 🌶🥧.
🥧🥧🥧 THE REVIEW 🥧🥧🥧
1. Value for Money – $6.50 was ok value for this 🥧. While it wasn’t huge, it was a fairly decent size. Once again you need to consider the location your at and slightly inflated prices that go with it. 8.5/10
2. Meat Ratio – 95% full. Maybe a smidge more could have squeezed under the lid. But I’m probably being a bit greedy !!! Lol 9.5/10
3. Meat Flavor – One word “AWESOME “ every single bite was full of flavor. The mince was incredibly tender and the 🌶🌶 flakes were perfect. This was a easy score 10/10
4. Pastry – “PERFECT” The top and bottom were cooked to perfection. The top had a beautiful golden brown color and flakey. While the stability on the base and thickness/bake was also perfect. 10/10
5. Temperature – Again this was perfect. Didn’t have to wait one second. 10/10
🥧🥧 Overall Rating 48/50🥧🥧
Now I know what all fuss has been about !!! This 🥧 was absolutely sensational. The two standouts were the flavor and pastry. Tracey nailed both of these. The pastry in particular was mouth watering everything about it was first class.
Wendy is turning this place into a one stop shop. From fuel, food, souvenirs, basic groceries and of course the best🥧’s going around, this place has everything !!!!! It’s a great place to stop , relax for a bit and hook in to a 🌶🥧 or three.
This servo has been over 30 years of bloody hard work for Wendy and her family. Wendy is always coming up with crazy ideas to expand this place and make it even more customer friendly. The back section of the building has recently been expanded and looks amazing.
Wendy I wanna send out a HUGE thanks to you and your team for your hospitality. This joint and Wendy are crazy busy !!! So to spend valuable time with you and hear the families story was so good. To Tracey (🥧 creator and 🥧 legend) don’t change a single thing, your handy work and 🥧’s ROCK !!!!
Mataranka has something special about it. Its in the middle of NOWHERE But so worth the stop. Everything about this place including the 🥧’s will make you wanna stay longer than expected or come back again.